ENTERPRISE — “Walk Washington County” begins Saturday with a walking tour of Enterprise led by Mayor Lee Bracken. The informative foot tour of the town starts at 9 a.m. and serves as the kick-off for the Enterprise Corn Festival, which begins at 10 a.m.
“Walk Washington County is a great way for you to get some exercise, enjoy beautiful southern Utah, meet local mayors and learn area history,” said Heidi Lemke, coordinator of the Healthy Dixie 2015 walks.
The walks give visitors a chance to learn the history of the town and visit different neighborhoods and businesses.
“I think of it as ‘town appreciation,’” Lemke said. “You learn to love all these little towns in Southern Utah, and it’s quite fun.”
Walkers of all ages and abilities are welcome. Attendees should dress for walking and bring any gear needed, including water. Walks vary from an easy stroll to slightly strenuous.
Participants will be encouraged to take on the quest by receiving a walking stick at their first Mayor’s Walk; they then receive a city medallion for every walk they complete in the series.
“When you see the sticks of people who’ve done it for a couple of years, they’ve got quite a few,” Lemke said.
The Enterprise Mayor’s Walk begins at 50 Center St. in the parking lot of the meeting house of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The walk and tour are free.
This walk is the first of four fall “Walk Washington County” events. Walks will also be held in Hurricane, Ivins and Santa Clara in September as follows:
- Hurricane — Peach Days, Sept. 5 at 10 a.m. with Mayor John Bramall at the Community Center, 63 S. 100 West
- Ivins — Heritage Days, Sept. 18 at 6 p.m. with Mayor Chris Hart at the Ivins City Park, 100 N. Main St.
- Santa Clara— Swiss Days, Sept. 24 at 5:30 p.m. with Mayor Rick Rosenberg at City Hall, 2603 Santa Clara Drive on the east grounds
Additional Mayor’s walks will be held in succeeding months.
“Walk Washington County” began in 2013 as part of Dixie Regional Medical Center’s 100th Anniversary. Healthy Dixie is pleased to continue this healthy event. For more information, call 435-703-4746.
- What: Enterprise Mayor’s Walk | Walk Washington County
- When: Aug. 29, 9 a.m.
- Where: 50 Center St. in the parking lot of the LDS church, Enterprise
- Cost: Free
- Followed by the Enterprise Cornfest: Corn’s ripening in Enterprise; Cornfest returns with car show, entertainment
- Corn’s ripening in Enterprise; Cornfest returns with car show, entertainment
- Mayor’s Walk: Keeping tradition alive with new Mayor Jon Pike
- Desert Trail welcomes walkers to medical center campus
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.