ST. GEORGE – A man was taken to the hospital Wednesday evening with severe burns to his arm after a grease fire erupted in an off-campus student housing unit in St. George, largely tenanted by Dixie State University students. (See ed. note)
Around 5:30 p.m., the St. George Fire Department was alerted to a fire alarm involving the activation of a fire-suppression system at the Red Rock Ridge student housing complex, St. George Fire Battalion Chief Robert Hooper said. The complex is located at 344 N. 1990 East in St. George.
“Upon our arrival, we were told that there was actually a burn victim and it was a kitchen fire in an apartment unit,” Hooper said.
The victim, a man described as being in his 20s, was cooking chicken in grease. The grease somehow caught fire when he tried to move the pan toward the kitchen sink. The flames subsequently activated the apartment’s indoor sprinklers.
Though property damage inside the apartment was minimal, Hooper said, the man received second- and third-degree burns to his right arm.
A roommate took the man to Dixie Regional Medical Center to be treated for the burns, Hooper said.
Firefighters were able to shut of the fire-suppression system and prevent it from flooding the apartment complex.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Ed. note: Housing complex details clarified.
- House fire causes estimated $25,000 in damages
- House fire erupts as woman cooks dinner in new oven
- House fire in Santa Clara causes $40,000 in damage, displaces 3
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.