SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary R. Herbert issued the following statement Friday regarding recent accusations against Planned Parenthood:
The allegations against Planned Parenthood are deeply troubling. Current Utah state law prohibits the use of state funds to provide abortions by Planned Parenthood or any other organization. The federal government has provided grants to Planned Parenthood, distributed through the Utah Department of Health. These funds are also prohibited from being used to perform abortions. In light of ongoing concerns about the organization, I have instructed state agencies to cease acting as an intermediary for pass-through federal funds to Planned Parenthood.
Other state and local agencies and nonprofits will continue to provide sexually transmitted disease education and prevention programs.
- For a complete list of funding provided to Planned Parenthood, click here.
- Lee votes to end federal funding for Planned Parenthood
- Perspectives: Planned Parenthood; personal choice
- Hatch joins 49 senators raising concerns with planned parenthood practices
- Advocates for life, babies, demonstrate before Planned Parenthood; STGnews Videocast – 2014