SANTA CLARA – The Santa Clara City Council pledged $5,000 annually to the Tuacahn Center for the Arts for the next 20 years, and approved an opt-out form of curbside recycling at its regular meeting Wednesday at the city offices, 2603 Santa Clara Drive.
Tuacahn attracts thousands of visitors each year and brings an estimated $75 million in economic benefit to Washington County, but is in serious need of financing for critical maintenance and other capital improvements.
Ivins City has pledged $10,000 per year, and is encouraging other municipalities and Washington County to make similar commitments.
“We are committing the funds, if they are able to go forward,” City Manager Edward Dickie said.
The funding commitment for Tuacahn will come from RAP (recreation, arts and parks) tax revenue, Dickie said. Santa Clara officials estimate, conservatively, that the city will receive $50,000 in RAP tax funds each year.
Of that, 20 percent will be used for arts projects, including the $5,000 for Tuacahn, and the remaining 80 percent of RAP tax money will be spent on parks and trails, Dickie said.
Other cities in the county, and Washington County itself, need to commit funds for Tuacahn as well or the whole deal is off, Dickie said, because Tuacahn has private donors willing to pay the majority of what is needed.
The council approved an ordinance and resolution that paves the way for the city to participate in a countywide curbside recycling program. Santa Clara chose the “opt-out” version of the program, meaning residents can choose whether or not they want to recycle, Dickie said.
Participating cities can either choose to offer an opt-out option for their residents or make the program mandatory. Cities choosing the opt-out option will have an opt-out period.
Details of the arrangement have not yet been worked out for Santa Clara residents, Dickie said; the council is looking at how other cities are going to implement the program. Opt-out programs can be labor-intensive, as the city must keep track of which residents want to recycle, which ones don’t, and any changes in a resident’s status.
The recycling program will be run by the Washington County Solid Waste District, and is officially called the BluCan curbside recycling program. An informational website, BluCan.org was launched in early August to help county residents understand the program and what material can be recycled.
The City Council approved a preliminary plat for a new subdivision, Snow Canyon Estates, which will have 46 lots on approximately 16 acres. The development will be located on Lava Cove Drive, directly north of Little League Drive, and the lot size will be one-quarter to one-third of an acre.
- Tuacahn funding urgent; Ivins commits $200,000, asks other cities follow suit
- St. George signs onto BluCan curbside recycling program
- LaVerkin jumps on curbside recycling wagon, plans different approach; interim council position opens
- Hurricane chooses mandatory curbside recycling despite citizen opposition
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.