ST. GEORGE — Numerous firefighters and support teams responded as smoke filled the Smith’s food and drug store in St. George Sunday evening. Firefighters investigating found a Freon line that had broken in the back of the building, causing the smoke inside.
Firefighters were dispatched to the store, located at 20 N. Bluff Street, just before 7:30 p.m.
The smoke was caused by a small, brass 90-degree fitting that was cracked, St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said. The broken line ventilated onto the roof and into the store’s air conditioning units, he said, causing the smoke.
However, Guard said the damage was minimal.
Smith’s employee Darrel Fokken said the smoke coming from the vents caused the manager to immediately evacuate the store and notify authorities.
Five fire engines were dispatched to the scene.
Employees and customers were in the parking lot for over an hour while firefighters investigated and cleared the smoke from inside.
No injuries were reported.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- Taking pies in the face for Primary Children’s Hospital; STGnews Videocast
- ‘Suspicious circumstance’ being investigated after early morning fire
- Like a good neighbor: 2 passersby extinguish fire at neighbor’s house
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.