ST. GEORGE – An unfortunate convergence of circumstances caused a woman to become stuck underneath her home on the 1900 West block of 1500 North in St. George Tuesday, requiring her to be rescued by firefighters and transported to the hospital.
The 42-year-old woman suspected she may have had some sort of water leak, St. George Fire Battalion Chief Robert Hooper said, so she climbed under her home to see if she could locate it.
From there, the woman’s day went from bad to worse.
As the woman was crawling under her home, she became wedged about halfway between the front and the back of her house. The woman fortunately had her cellphone with her at the time and was able to call 911 for some assistance.
Around 11:15 a.m., the St. George Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance received a page that a panicked and hysterical woman was calling on a cellphone from under her house where she was stuck and unable to squeeze out.
When crews arrived, they found that the woman was in fact stuck and it was unclear if firefighters were going to have to cut portions of the cement brick to dislodge the woman.
“Units first arrived on scene (and) found that she was about 50 feet underneath the sub-floor in the trailer,” Hooper said. “They were able to coach her out with some assistance.”
Crews were also monitoring the air to make sure there were no hazards underneath the home, Hooper said, adding that sometimes in confined spaces there can be potential air hazards.
The woman was safely extracted from underneath the home without any need to cut around her, Hooper said.
She was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George for medical evaluation.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Man rescued from chimney after getting stuck trying to enter home; video footage
- Man rescued from Dixie Rock after getting stuck
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.