SOUTHERN UTAH – The National Weather Service has issued a “Significant Weather Advisory” for southeastern Wayne, eastern Garfield and northeastern San Juan counties in effect until 7:15 p.m. Sunday. Anyone on or near Lake Powell is advised to get out of the water immediately and move indoors or inside a vehicle.
At 6:29 p.m., the National Weather Service Doppler Radar indicated a line of strong thunderstorms along a line extending from 7 miles northwest of Hite Marina to near Ticaboo, and moving east at 20 mph.
These storms will cross Lake Powell from Ticaboo north to Hite Marina through 7:15 p.m. Half-inch hail and wind gusts up to 50 mph will be possible along with frequent lightning and heavy rainfall.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
“Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with these storms,” the National Weather Service said Sunday evening.
Lightning can strike 15 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe shelter inside a building or vehicle.
“If on or near Lake Powell,” the weather service said, “get out of the water and move indoors or inside a vehicle.”
Remember, lightning can strike out to 15 miles from the parent thunderstorm. If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning, according to the weather service. Move to safe shelter now. Do not be caught on the water in a thunderstorm.
- What to do before, during, after a flash flood
- I can’t believe I survived; video of flash flood crashing down on canyoneers
- News LIVE: Heavy rains shut down Virgin River Gorge
- St. George Library floods for 3rd time after heavy rains
- News LIVE: Heavy rains cause flooding, structure failures, multiple car accidents; UPDATED 11 PM, STGnews Photo Gallery
- Washington City hosts ‘Help our Community’ flood-relief event
- Rainy day rescue: Fundraising website set up for Washington flood victims
- Storm swells Virgin River, flash flood at Fort Pierce Bridge; STGnews Aerial Videocast
- News LIVE: Storm hits Washington, homes flooded; STGnews Photo Gallery
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.