ST. GEORGE — “Sunset on the Square” will feature the movie “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” Friday at Town Square in downtown St. George as part of the nonprofit night festivities. Sunset on the Square is a free community event sponsored by local businesses and organizations.
“This is an event that we do each year on the fourth Friday in June, and it is one of my favorites,” said Dawn McLain, event host. “In Utah there are over 4,300 registered 501c3 organizations that collectively employ 63,000 people. They offer a broad range of services, filling in where government and the private sector don’t and fitting a general definition of serving the public interest.”
Nonprofit night has been a crowd-pleaser in the past as it is packed with many extra activities including host games, face painting, water balloons, dancing, music, food, vendors, a golden ticket contest, star gazing and bubble machines.
To celebrate nonprofit night, KCSG Television will be sponsoring a prize for the best nonprofit booth. Judging will be right before the movie by audience applause. Attendees are encouraged to come and support the many vital programs local nonprofits provide to Southern Utah.
“These nonprofits make all the difference,” said St. George Mayor Jon Pike during a town hall event earlier this year. “We cannot do it without them and without each other and without believing in whatever individual cause each organization has. That’s how we’ll make the ends meet.”
As many Sunset on the Square regulars already know, Brad Harr & Associates hosted a golden ticket candy bar contest selling chocolate bars from their office, Dealer Collision Center and the St. George Children’s Museum, with five of those bars having golden tickets!
The five golden ticket winners will participate in candy-based contests to win a grand prize. Proceeds from the sales of the chocolate bars will be donated to the St. George Children’s Museum.
The St. George Astronomy Club will play host to their largest star gazing event yet. The organization will set up an information booth at the event, and, prior to the movie which will play at dusk, solar telescopes will be available to attendees for safe viewing of the sun. Once darkness falls upon the park, telescopes will be set up for night star gazing around 8:30 p.m. Local astronomers predict that Venus, Jupiter and Saturn will be visible, rings and all.
- June 26 | Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory | G | 98 minutes
- July 10 | The Lego Movie | PG | 100 minutes
- July 24 | Three Amigos | PG | 103 minutes
- August 14 | Wreck it Ralph | PG | 108 minutes
- August 28 | The Legend of Zorro | PG | 136 minutes
- What: “Sunset on the Square” nonprofit night
- When: Friday, 5 p.m.
- Where: Town Square, 175 E. 200 North, St. George
- Contact: Dawn McLain, 702-860-2341 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Layne Garner Family opens Hurricane Valley’s Concerts in the Park series
- Summer eSmart Camp makes girls ‘detectives of the past,’ exploring archaeology
- Summertime in Town Square: St. George ‘Frozen;’ STGnews Videocast – 2014