GRAND CANYON, Ariz. – Authorities have identified and released the name of the man who died Thursday while hiking the Bright Angel Trail in Grand Canyon National Park.
The man has been identified as 36-year-old Takayuki Fujiwara, of Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, Japan, according to a press statement issued Thursday by Grand Canyon National Park.
At approximately 3:45 p.m. Thursday, hikers reported to a park ranger near Indian Garden on the Bright Angel Trail that a member of their party needed help.
The ranger responded down the trail to a location known as the Devil’s Corkscrew. When the ranger arrived, more members of the party said they had attempted resuscitation efforts, a statement issued by the park said, but Fujiwara had not had a pulse for about two hours.
The hiking group was on its way back up the Bright Angel Trail after hiking down to the Colorado River. The temperature on the trail Thursday was in excess of 110 degrees and the National Weather Service had issued an excessive heat warning for Grand Canyon National Park, according to a statement issued by the park.
An investigation into the incident is being conducted by the National Park Service in coordination with the Coconino County Medical Examiner. No additional information is available at this time.
- Grand Canyon National Park increases entrance, backcountry permit fees
- Missing: 22-year-old river guide goes missing in Grand Canyon National Park
- AZ sheriff takes stand against proposed Grand Canyon Watershed ‘land grab’
- Hiker dies at Grand Canyon
- Plane wreckage found in Grand Canyon, may be missing plane from 2011
- Visitor fatality at South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park
- Search area expands for missing San Antonio man at Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon rangers successfully intervene in possible suicide attempt
- Officials identify mystery animal sighted near Grand Canyon
- Hiker fatality in Grand Canyon National Park
- Rafting guide struck by lightning at Grand Canyon
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.