SAND HOLLOW STATE PARK – As a hot day cooled down Saturday, fans packed the sands around the”BoardFest” stage at Sand Hollow State Park where ‘90s hip-hop artist Coolio turned the heat back up with a nighttime performance that brought climax to the three-day weekend event.
Coolio took to the mic accompanied by a full band, exploring genres of music that may have surprised some fans – from reggae to country to jazz. The artist performed crowd favorites, like his Grammy Award-winning song “Gangsta’s Paradise” – though he changed up parts of the familiar tune with some reggae and country vibes.
Prior to the concert, “BoardFest” attendees beat the heat throughout the day by playing in the water – despite the posted warning of active swimmer’s itch in the reservoir. Water was also pumped from the lake onto the hot sand to cool it down for beachgoers.
Vendors and watersports were touted parts of BoardFest, along with other headlining entertainers like Shock-G, of Digital Underground, and various disc jockeys, bands and even comedians to keep the crowd pumped up.
Saturday’s entertainment was briefly interrupted when emergency responders were called in to attend to a man who had enjoyed a little too much alcohol during the evening’s festivities. The man was OK, however, and ended up refusing ambulance transportation to the hospital, and the party went on.
According to the “BoardFest” website, two goals of the event are to bring action sport-related brands to one location, where spectators can test out and buy products, and to increase the numbers of local people who participate in watersports.
Demos, races and competitions have taken part throughout BoardFest, according to the website.
“Boardfest” is organized by Strong Marketing Group and DJ Johnny Utah. It continued Sunday with music by DJ Gud n Plenty at 10 a.m. and DJ Johnny Utah from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
St. George News Assistant to the Editor Cami Cox Jim contributed to this reporter.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Water sports, hip-hop collide: Coolio, Shock-G headline Sand Hollow BoardFest
- $1,000 prize offered in Jet Ski Racing Corporate Challenge, entrants invited – Event is June 27, 28
- A-List: LED paddleboard, hammock tent rentals; giveaway
- St. George hosts Pro Watercross Racing event – Event is June 27, 28
- Paddlefest kicks off Triple Threat Race Series
- What’s in a ‘rave’? City shuts down teenage dance party for Facebook posts
- Splish splash slosh, Mayhem rocks Sand Hollow; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery – 2014
- Sand Hollow Reservoir’s pesky parasite, dealing with swimmer’s itch
- One last beach-party: Sand Hollow Mayhem returns to Southern Utah; STGNews photo gallery – 2013
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.