ST. GEORGE — A brush fire in a residential area off Tonaquint Drive Monday briefly threatened homes but was quickly brought under control thanks to a quick-thinking neighbor.
Residents on Dover Drive had reported a brownout condition around 8:30 a.m. This apparently caused power lines behind the homes to spark, St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said, igniting a fire in the dry brush and tumbleweeds behind.
Stoker said a quick-acting neighbor probably saved the houses.
“The gentleman was pulling out of the neighborhood, saw the smoke, came over and grabbed a garden hose (and) got the fire contained,” Stoker said. “He stayed a safe distance back. In this case it did slow the fire down until we could get here and (took) care of the majority of the mop-up.”
Stoker said three engines and two brush trucks were dispatched just before 8:45 a.m. and had the fire out in about 30 minutes.
The fire burned about a half acre, Stoker said, and briefly threatened two homes.
St. George City Department of Energy Services was dispatched to the area to check for any faulty or damaged power lines.
No injuries were reported, and no damage was reported to any of the homes.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- 3 kids playing with fireworks cited for brush fire; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- News short: Brush fire behind school quickly extinguished
- Firefighters extinguish multiple brush fires on I-15
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.