WASHINGTON CITY – Out of three City Council seats up for grabs this year in Washington City, only one council member is running for re-election. He will vie with eight others who will be contending for one of those seats – including his own.
From the sitting council
Washington City Councilman Jeff Turek filed for re-election as he seeks a third term, according to filing information. Councilmen Kress Staheli and Ron Truman, however, both of whom have only served a single term on the City Council, chose not to run for a second term.
Truman said a number of factors went into his decision not to seek a second term, though he primarily pinned it on frustration with the process and feeling like he wasn’t able to make much of a difference. Still, he said he learned a lot about the political process.
“It was a good experience and a good learning experience,” Truman said.
Staheli served on the city’s planning commission for two years before being elected to the City Council in 2011. He said he enjoyed his time on the council and that it was a great learning experience, as well, but now it is time to focus on his family.
“It just came down to the best use of my time,” Staheli said. “… With a younger family, I’m not going to get that time back. Others need the opportunity to run and get involved. … It’s a great opportunity to serve.”
Other council candidates
Among those running for City Council are:
- Bill Hudson, former council member who served a single term with the City Council and was ousted by Garth Nisson in the 2013 election
- Jean Arbuckle, who previously served on the Washington City Council from 2002-2009
- Kolene Granger, former superintendent of the Washington County School District
- Dan Drown, general manger of Red Robin and president of the Washington City Chamber of Commerce
- James McFadden, a marketing and advertising entrepreneur
- Troy Belliston, of Belliston Construction
- C. Bradford Allen
- Patricia Robbins
- St. George gets new mayor, Washington keeps the old – 2013
- Canvassed election results: Washington, Iron, Kane counties – 2013
- Municipal candidates address public forum on gun range, water, role of government – 2013
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.