ST. GEORGE — The St. George Dance Company will host the eighth annual St. George Contemporary Dance Concert on June 13 at the Dixie State University Cox Performing Arts Center.
The Contemporary Dance Concert is a choreography festival showcasing 14 choreographers and over 30 dancers from the southwest.
Summer Belnap Robertson, artistic director for the St. George Dance Company and the coordinator for the concert said:
The purpose of the concert is to foster stability and unity in our local dance community, bringing together dancers, dance companies and choreographers who have a love for contemporary movement, and to provide a venue for these dancers to perform.
This year, the festival welcomes four dance groups from Salt Lake City and one from California. Audience members will enjoy the choreography of Southern Utah University dance faculty Denise Purvis’ newly-completed, “Freedom Lies In…,” performed by Dixie State Dance faculty member Sara Gallo to poetry by Cedar City artist DaKishia Reid.
The St. George Dance Company will also present a new piece by Summer Belnap Robertson entitled “The Queen Is Dead,” which premiered May 31 in New York City and will be danced again as part of this Southern Utah choreography festival.
The Cox Performing Arts Center is located on the DSU campus at 225 S. 700 East in St. George. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online, by phone at 435-652-7800 or in person the day of the concert.
- What: St. George Contemporary Dance Concert
- When: Saturday, June 13, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Cox Performing Arts Center, Dixie State University campus, 225 S. 700 East, St. George
- Admission: $10
- Contact: Summer Robertson, 435-773-1221
- God’s Messengers Dance Company presents ‘A Tribute to the Life of Jesus Christ’
- School district foundation presents BYU Ballroom Dance, raises grant funds
- Heritage Choir performs Easter Concert
Email: [email protected]