Will you run for council? Seats open in cities, towns in Washington, Kane, Iron counties

ST GEORGE — The first week in June is important for those interested in running for city or town council in their municipalities. If you are one of those people, you can file to run for council at the city or town offices between now and 5 p.m. Monday.

People who run for municipal office do so for various reasons. Some want to reform aspects of city government and create greater transparency and accessibility. Others seeks to give a voice to that part of the city populace they believe is being ignored by their elected officials, while others feel it’s their turn to serve the community and give back to it.

In many cases it’s a combination of any of those ideals and more.

“It’s a good way to give back,” Ken Neilson, who is currently serving his second term as mayor of Washington City, said.

One of the original reasons Neilson said he ran for city office was to help spur economic development in his hometown. Other reasons included wanting to bring a different perspective to the government, something positive – a smile and a laugh, he said.

“I’m not about politics, I’m about people,” Neilson said.

For individuals who are considering taking a dive into the municipal government pool, Neilson offered the following advice: “Look at the reason you’re running. What is your motive?”

Are you running because you want to better the city and benefit the residents? Or are you running because you have an agenda of some kind?

If you’re going to run for a city council seat, Nielson said, do so while promoting the positive and seeing how you can better the lives of the people you’ll be elected to serve.

Serve the people, not yourself, he said.

The municipal general election will be held this year on Nov. 3. If needed, a primary election will be held on Aug. 11.

Candidates must file their declaration of candidacy in person with the city or town recorder.


A person may become a candidate for any municipal office if:

  • The person is a registered voter and a U.S. citizen, and
  • the person has resided in the municipal area for at least 12 consecutive months, and
  • the person has submitted the required registration fee

Questions about running should be directed to the city or town recorder.

Several municipalities in Southern Utah currently have listed on their websites that there are two-to-three positions for council members open that will be on the ballot this year. Enoch city has notice the mayoral seat is open.


Notices for filing, including location and contact information for city and town offices, are listed below.

Each city has between two-to-three seats on their respective city or town councils up for election/reelection. Terms of office vary; consult the links below for details.

Washington County

Iron County

Kane County

St. George News reporter Jessica Tempfer contributed to this article.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • ladybugavenger June 3, 2015 at 5:35 am

    Can I vote for my own pay raise? If not, then forget about it! 😉

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.