ST. GEORGE – A national nonprofit organization for veterans known as Team Red, White and Blue has taken root in Southern Utah and is inviting the community to join them in a unique Memorial Day fitness tribute called “WOD with Warriors” held at CrossFit St. George, 1449 N. 1400 West, on Monday from 8-10 a.m.
The Southern Utah entity of Team Red, White and Blue began in March, organizer and veteran Garrett Johnson said. Since then, the group has organized what they call “functional fitness” and social activities designed to help veterans reconnect with the regular world.
“We have our own insular communities,” Johnson said, speaking of veterans, “we need to be able to connect to other people.”
Community fitness businesses have come on board, hosting classes such as yoga, runs and CrossFit workouts known as a Workout of the Day or “WOD.”
“The key is consistent activities that veterans can predict,” Johnson said. “It is great for isolated veterans who maybe suffer from PTSD who might be more interested in going out for a run, or yoga class or hike. In the long run, people will find the type of event they want and go every week.”
Monday’s event, “WOD with Warriors,” is free and open to the public to join in and support veterans as they pay tribute to their fallen comrades and to all those who sacrificed their life in service to this country.
RSVP is required and can be done here.
What is WOD with Warriors?
“WOD with Warriors” is a functional fitness tribute workout held twice a year on Veterans and Memorial days at gyms all throughout the country, according to a press release statement from the St. George Team Red, White and Blue.
“WOD with Warriors” supports Team Red, White and Blue, whose mission is to “enrich the lives of America’s veterans by connecting them to their communities through physical and social activity.”
- To help people remember and observe Memorial Day in a respectful, reflecting, meaningful way
- To provide an opportunity for veterans to connect to members of their community through functional fitness
A 21-gun salute is the nation’s highest display of honor, appropriately reserved for our fallen troops on Memorial Day. Our Workout of the Day intends to replicate this, to honor our nation’s warriors past, present and future. The 21-minute workout and 21 repetitions signify a 21-gun salute, and the five exercises are one for each branch of the military.
The Workout | “21 Guns” | As many rounds as possible in 21 minutes
- 400-meter run (500-meter run can be substituted)
- 21 pushups
- 21 box jumps (24 inches/20 inches)
- 15 burpees
- 9 pullups
- What: Memorial Day functional tribute workout; “WOD with Warriors”
- When: May 25, 8-10 a.m.
- Where: CrossFit St. George, 1449 N. 1400 West, St. George
- Cost: Free
- Register / RSVP: WOD with Warriors
- Team RWB St. George/Cedar City | Facebook
- Rain doesn’t stop ‘Freedom Riders’ from honoring armed forces
- High walls, deep mud, happy faces highlight Hurricane Mud Run; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Veterans town hall leaves many feeling voiceless, choiceless; STGnews Videocast
- A 21-gun salute to hope
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.