SOUTHERN UTAH – The roads of Southern Utah are about to get loud with the rumbling sounds of hundreds of motorcycles Saturday as the 2015 National Armed Forces Day Freedom Ride gets set to pay tribute to members of the armed forces who have served or are currently serving our country.
Held in cooperation with Zion Harley Davidson and the Vietnam Veterans of America, Southern Utah Chapter 961, the annual ride will feature a motorcycle tour through scenic Washington County, a stop at the Warbird Air Museum for the annual Wings and Wheels event honoring National Armed Forces Day, and a barbecue and celebration at Zion Harley Davidson, 2345 N. Coral Canyon Blvd. in Washington City.
This year’s ride will be longer than last year’s, Bruce Solomon, chairman of the Mayor’s Veterans Advisory Council, said, and will start with riders rallying at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday just off Interstate 15 Exit 2. Kickstands will go up at 9:30 a.m.
After an hourlong stop at the Warbird Air Museum, the ride will continue to Zion Harley Davidson where, from noon to 3 p.m., there will be live music, a barbecue and prize drawings.
This year, a Smith and Wesson Model 638 handgun will be given away, along with other prizes.
Nonriders are welcome to join in the tribute and fun at Zion Harley Davidson.
Tickets for the event are $10 apiece, which includes the opportunity to ride, lunch and one prize drawing entry. Registration for passengers and additional prize entries are also $10.
All proceeds from the event will benefit the Vietnam Veterans of America, Southern Utah Chapter 961 Veteran’s Relief Fund, which, Solomon said, is a fund set up for veterans in need of temporary relief associated with housing and other living costs.
Participants can preregister at Zion Harley Davidson, and there will be some registration openings at the rally point on the day of the ride.
- What: 2015 Armed Forces Freedom Ride
- When: Saturday, May 16 | Rally: 8:30 a.m. | Kickstands up: 9:30 a.m. | Ride end and barbecue: Noon to 3 p.m.
- Where: Rally: Just off Interstate 15 Exit 2 | Ride end: Zion Harley Davidson, 2345 N. Coral Canyon Blvd., Washington City
- Cost: $10 per person | Additional opportunity drawing tickets: $10
- Purchase tickets: Tickets can be purchased in advance at Zion Harley Davidson; some tickets will be available at the rally point on the day of the ride
- Additional information: All proceeds will benefit the Vietnam Veterans of America, Southern Utah Chapter 961 Veteran’s Relief Fund
- 2015 National Armed Forces Day | Facebook event page
- Vietnam Veterans of America, Southern Utah Chapter 961 | Website
- Rollin’ with the veterans at 2nd annual pinewood derby; STGnews Videocast
- Veterans take action to resolve problems with St. George VA outpatient clinic
- Veterans town hall leaves many feeling voiceless, choiceless; STGnews Videocast
- Patriot Day ceremony honors local, national heroes
- Ride on freedom’s wings; Freedom Ride 2014
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.