ST. GEORGE – Over 1,000 racers are expected to toe the line at the second Southern Utah Half Marathon Saturday beginning at Highland Park, 1250 Highland Parkway in Washington City and ending at Bloomington Park, 650 W. Man-O-War Road in the Bloomington area of St. George.
Launched in August 2014, one of the areas newest half marathons has now moved to the cooler climate of April and boasts a fast course with a gentle downhill.
“It’s a fast course,” race founder and owner of the St. George Running Center, Steve Hooper, said, “but it is not so downhill that it beats you up.”
The race, which had been in the works for several years, saw great success in its inaugural run, Hooper said, adding that though it wasn’t huge in terms of numbers, the energy was great and they received a lot of positive feedback.
This year numbers are hovering around 1,000 with more expected to come in as the registration deadline approaches, Hooper said.
Most of the registered runners come from outside the county, Hooper said, with only about 25-30 percent of racers being from Washington County.
Online registration closes Wednesday at midnight but runners wishing to participate can sign up at the St. George Running Center, 2736 Red Cliffs Dr. in St George through Friday. Late registration does not guarantee a shirt.
Registered runners will receive start line, aid station and finish line refreshments and a finisher medal.
Spectators are encouraged to come out and cheer on the runners as they traverse the 13.1-mile course.
“It is a great course,” Hooper said. “At the start, when the sun comes up, it is just gorgeous.”
Best spectator spots
- Sullivan Soccer Park, 965 S. Washington Fields Road, Washington City
- Waterfront Drive, St. George
- Virgin River Trail near River Road and Riverside Drive, St. George
- Finish line at Bloomington Park, 650 W. Man-O-War Road, St. George
- What: Second annual Southern Utah Half Marathon
- When: Saturday, April 25, 6:45 a.m. start
- Where: Highland Park, 1250 Highland Parkway, Washington City to Bloomington Park, 650 W. Man-O-War Road, Bloomington area of St. George
- Cost: $65, spectators free
- Additional information: This event is mostly run on bike/running trails. There will be no road closures and only one lane closure located on Riverside Drive near Waterfront Drive. See course map here. Late registration is available at the St. George Running Center through Friday. Late regisistration does not guarantee a shirt
- Resources: Website | Facebook
- 2,180 racers participate in Zion Half Marathon; third consecutive title for men’s winner; STGnews Photo Gallery
- Racers brave cold temps, rain at Road Rage Duathlon; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- BLM, trails association celebrate completion of mountain bike trail network
- Runners compete for time, causes, health at St. George Half Marathon; STGnews Videocast
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.