HURRICANE – Hooves pounded the racetrack for the second of two series of horse races at the Washington County Regional Park at 5500 W. 700 South in Hurricane, Saturday, as the Dixie Downs Races ran before a sizable crowd of spectators.
The annual two-part racing event is sponsored by the St. George Lions Club and this year marked its 46th return, with seven races.
Saturday’s races featured about 30 horses, both quarter horses and thoroughbreds, with jockeys on their backs and eager trainers and owners watching from the sidelines. Seven races were held, including both finals and maiden races.
Shaunda Larsen, a female jockey from Draper who has been racing since 1990, rode in four different races at the event, winning two of them.
Larsen, who trains race horses as well as races them, said her family has been involved in horse racing since she was a small girl. For her, the love of the race keeps her coming back for more, and she said she tries to participate in as many races as she can.
Trainers Holly Skeen and her husband, Mark Skeen, ran a family-owned horse named On Fire at Saturday’s races, which won the quarter horse futurity finals.
The Skeens have a full-time barn in Los Alamitos, California, but they said they love to train their horses in St. George. They’ve been supporting the Dixie Downs Races for many years.
Sunshine and good weather drew out a larger crowd than last year to the Dixie Downs Races, according to information from the St. George Lions Club.
Below is a list of Saturday’s winners:
- Quarter horse 3-years-old-and-up maiden schooling race, 350 yards: Winner, Shaunda Larsen riding Sizzlin Strawfly, 18.5409 seconds; owner, Janis Calton; trainer, Kurt Calton
- Quarter horse 3-year-old derby finals, 350 yards: Winner, Tyson Lusk riding Cir Mark Of A Queen, 18.0221 seconds; owner, Gary Robinson; trainer, Chancey Spencer
- Quarter horse 2-year-old maiden schooling race, 300 yards: Winner, Shaunda Larsen riding Bellatrex, 16.3290 seconds; owner, Darrin Pollitt; trainer, Kurt Calton
- Quarter horse futurity finals, 300 yards: Winner, Tony Guymon riding On Fire, 15.5943 seconds; owners, W. Skeen, M. Riley, R. Knight; trainer, Mark Skeen
- Quarter horse 2-year-old maiden schooling race, 300 yards: Winner, Tyson Lusk riding Snow Commander Si, 16.3291 seconds; owner, Jim Bernard; trainer, Bret Vickery
- Thoroughbred 3-years-old-and-up maiden fillies, 4 furlongs: Winner, J.C. Estrada riding Dotted Princess, 45.8266 seconds; owner, Steve Kinross; trainer, Dave Marshall
- Thoroughbred 3-years-old-and-up maiden: Winner, Uriel Dominguez riding Teasdale Thunder, time TBA; owner, Marv Turner; trainer, Monte Turner
Proceeds from the Dixie Downs Races benefit the local community as all St. George Lions Club events raise money for charitable giving. Money was raised at the races through entrance fees collected from spectators, dues paid by race participants, proceeds from concessions sales and support from sponsors.
Reported by Tyler Truman for St. George News
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Lions Club 46th annual Dixie Downs horse races results – Part I, April 4, 2015
- Racing on the ridge attracts drag fans; STGnews Videocast
- Canyon Breeze Races ‘Final stretch’ closes 2014 season; STGnews Photo Gallery
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.