ST. GEORGE – The Food and Drug Association disseminated a statement Friday issued by Smith’s Food and Drug Stores on April 2 advising its customers, particularly those with nut allergies, that Smith’s Bakery carrot cakes packaged on or before April 1 contain walnuts and may not have been labeled properly.
For customers without nut allergies, the cakes are safe to consume. Anyone with a nut allergy however should not eat the recalled carrot cakes or they risk the possibility of a life-threatening reaction.
Cakes that are being recalled are as follows:
- Smith’s Bakery Fresh Carrot Cake, 1/4 sheet filled. Packaged on or before April 1, 2015. UPC Code: 41573-07058
- Smith’s Bakery Fresh Carrot Cake Slice, 5 oz. Packaged on or before April 1, 2015. UPC Code: 750903-91714
- Smith’s Bakery Fresh Carrot Cake, 1/8 Sheet. Packaged on or before April 1, 2015. UPC Code: 770118-22460
Seven states are affected by the recall including: Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Among stores within the recall zone near to Southern Utah are Smith’s in Cedar City, St. George on Red Cliffs Dr. and Bluff St., Mesquite, Nevada and Flagstaff, Arizona.
Managers at Cedar City’s Smith’s Food and Drug Store declined to comment citing that all media inquiries must go through corporate. The corporate media line was inaccessible when called.
The statement issued by Smith’s stated the company removed all affected carrot cakes from their store shelves and used register receipt tape messages and phone calls to notify customers who may have purchased the product.
According to the recall listed on the FDA website, as of April 17 there have been no customer related illnesses reported.
Customers should return cakes to Smith’s for a full refund.
Questions about the recall can be answered on Smith’s website, or by calling the Smith’s Customer Connect line at 800-576-4377.
- Sabra hummus recall issued due to contamination
- Kraft recalls 242,000 cases of macaroni and cheese
- Allergy alert: See’s Candy recalls chocolates containing undeclared nuts
- Company recalls various baby wipes, bacterial contamination – 2014
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.