ST. GEORGE – Motorists on northbound Interstate 15 traveling through the Virgin River Gorge can expect delays as they enter the construction zone Friday afternoon.
Heavy Friday traffic, in addition to construction work being done on a bridge in the Gorge, has backed up traffic on northbound I-15 for about two miles, Sgt. John Bottoms of the Arizona Department of Safety said in a message sent to area news outlets shortly after 1 p.m.
The work being done in the Gorge is a part of an ongoing rehabilitation project the Arizona Department of Transportation began in recent years to address the aging infrastructure on that part of I-15.
ADOT is currently working on Virgin River Bridge No. 6; work on this bridge began in March and is projected to cost $27 million and be completed in 2016. The project includes the replacement of the bridge’s superstructure – girders, deck and railings – as well as widening the roadway through the narrow passage of the Gorge.
While one travel lane remains open in each direction, motorists should slow down and drive carefully through work zones and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Alternate route and tips for drivers
Those seeking to avoid the construction work in the Virgin River Gorge may take Highway 91 as an alternative route. The highway bypasses the Gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Littlefield, Arizona, to the south and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard. See map included in this article.
No matter which route motorists choose, obedience to traffic laws and posted speed limits is advised in order to avoid becoming acquainted with Washington County Sheriff’s deputies or Arizona DPS troopers under unfavorable circumstances.
- To stay up to date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at AZ511.gov or call 511; outside of Arizona dial 1-888-411-ROAD (7623)
- For more information about this project, visit the website
- ADOT completes series of bridge projects, easing Gorge traffic restrictions
- ADOT begins largest bridge reconstruction project in Virgin River Gorge, Bridge No. 6 on I-15
- ADOT Advisory: Roadwork on bridges continues, motorists reminded to plan for delays