ST. GEORGE – The adult substance abuse alumni of the Southwest Behavioral Health Center invite Southern Utahns to a candlelight vigil Friday at 8 p.m. at the Dixie Rock, also known as the Sugarloaf, at Pioneer Park in St. George.
The purpose of the vigil is to raise awareness of addiction and those who have been lost to the disease, as well as celebrating those who have recovered, Emily Beatty, a licensed substance use disorder counselor, said.
“We are trying to raise awareness and to lift the stigma,” Beatty said, “so that people see addiction as a disease and not a moral issue.”
Members of the substance abuse alumni are putting on the event, Beatty said, adding they continue coming back to help others.
A post on the Washington County Sheriff’s Office website says:
As we all work hard to assist our community in ridding the world of addiction and the criminal like behaviors that it often fosters; we sometimes feel like we are fighting a losing battle. Many of us, unfortunately, are faced with loss, and even more difficult is the fact that we work with families who have lost a loved one to this seemingly hopeless disease.
All are invited to participate in this free event. There will be live music, including an original song written for the event and a Native American honor song, Beatty said.
Candles and floating lanterns will be lit in honor of those who have been lost to addiction and those who are still fighting it. There will also be representatives from a suicide prevention group to talk about suicide awareness and prevention, Beatty said.
A drawing, entered by donation, will be held to win a wakeboard. Tickets will be sold prior to the vigil from 6-8 p.m. Friday at the Dixie Rock, Beatty said.
- What: Addiction recovery, awareness candlelight vigil
- When: Friday, April 3 | 8 p.m.
- Where: Pioneer Park on Red Hills Parkway, St. George
- Cost: Free | Donation drawing: $1 per ticket or $5 for six tickets
- Additional information: Bring a candle and a chair or blanket to sit on
- Police call on community for help after $100,000 meth bust; STGnews Videocast
- Former NASCAR racer sentenced for 2013 high-speed chase
- Gay Straight Alliance holds transgender day of remembrance, candlelight vigil –2014
- Assemblies educate students about pornography addiction – 2014
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.