MOAB – Thousands of four-wheel drive enthusiasts from around the world will converge on Moab this weekend for the annual Easter Jeep Safari – a nine-day event that begins Saturday and continues through April 5.
“That’s what Moab is known for is Easter Jeep Safari,” Dixie 4 Wheel Drive General Manager Bryce Thompson said. “It brings 30,000 people into a small, small town.”
Dixie 4 Wheel Drive in St. George has been hard at work getting local customers’ Jeeps ready to hit the trail at the event. The shop has also completed its own custom 2014 Jeep Rubicon with all the extras, which will go on display alongside concept vehicles that aren’t yet available in the United States.
“Jeep themselves will be there – their designers, their concept guys,” Thompson said.
The following models will be among concept vehicles Jeep will have on display at the event, according to a press release from FCA US LLC (formerly Chrysler Group LLC):
- Jeep Chief A tribute to the classic 1970s era full-size Jeep Cherokee, this Wrangler-based concept vehicle evokes the West Coast surfer lifestyle of sun and fun with a nod to nostalgic beach rides.
- Jeep Staff Car The Jeep Staff Car was built as a salute to legendary Jeep military service vehicles. The open-air Wrangler four-door-based concept vehicle highlights rugged functionality with heritage design cues. It looks historic and authentic but is all new.
- Jeep Wrangler Africa The Africa is the ultimate Jeep Wrangler for backcountry and overland expeditions, with room for extra gear and auxiliary fuel tanks.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander The Grand Cherokee-based Overlander concept vehicle represents the rough-and-tumble side of Grand Cherokee – a rugged and dependable vehicle customized for the enthusiast interested in overland expeditions where they travel and camp out of their vehicle.
- Jeep Renegade Desert Hawk The newest addition to the Jeep lineup, the Jeep Renegade is the basis for the Desert Hawk concept vehicle and is equipped with a selection of Mopar and Jeep Performance Parts for the ultimate desert adventure.
- Jeep Cherokee Canyon Trail The Canyon Trail concept vehicle is developed from the Jeep Cherokee, Four Wheeler Magazine’s “2015 Four Wheeler of the Year.” In the spirit of that award, the Canyon Trail ups the Cherokee’s best-in-segment capability with Mopar and Jeep Performance Parts specifically designed for even more off-road prowess.
- Jeep Wrangler Red Rock Responder Based on the Jeep Wrangler, the Red Rock Responder is a support vehicle purpose-built to traverse the world’s harshest terrain with premium off-road equipment to respond to any vehicle emergency, with spare parts and tools stored in the built-in drawers and compartments of the cargo box.
Dixie 4 Wheel Drive’s Rubicon will be on display alongside these Jeep concept designs at the Easter Jeep Safari vendor show, which will feature a wide array of industry vendors displaying their wares.
“When you think of wheels and tires and shocks and bumpers – all those guys will be at this Easter Jeep Safari,” Thompson said.
Another chief attraction of the Easter Jeep Safari will be the trail rides. Most of the rides are daylong trips departing from Moab throughout the nine-day Easter Jeep Safari.
“The Jeep Safari was started in 1967 by the Moab Chamber of Commerce as a one-day trail ride,” the FCA US LLC press release said. “Over the years, as participation grew, the Safari grew and expanded until it finally reached the current nine-day event. ‘Big Saturday’ still remains the culmination of the event on the Saturday of Easter weekend.”
St. George News reporter Ric Wayman contributed to this post.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- What: Easter Jeep Safari
- When: Saturday, March 28 through Sunday, April 5
- Where: Moab, Utah | Registration at Spanish Trail Arena, 3641 S. Highway 191, Moab
- Details: Red Rock 4-Wheelers website | Facebook
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.