ST. GEORGE — Motorists traveling on Interstate 15 along the Virgin River Gorge Sunday should expect traffic delays into the evening due to heavy traffic volume through the Gorge construction zone.
Heavy traffic volume has traffic backed up northbound on I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge, Arizona Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol Sgt. John Bottoms said.
“At this time it’s backed up four miles and growing, it’s expected to worsen through the evening,” Bottoms said in a text message to St. George News Sunday afternoon.
Bottoms said he highly recommends drivers use Old Highway 91 as an alternate route.
Motorists traveling through the area are advised to plan ahead and allow for traffic and construction delays and to drive with extra precaution.
Bottoms urges motorists to always stay a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them when driving. Following too close, particularly in a construction zone, creates an unnecessary safety risk which oftentimes results in drivers skidding off into the median when the car in front of them stops or slows, he said.
The $27 million rehabilitation of Virgin River Bridge No. 6 began in March 2014 and is anticipated to be completed in 2016. This significant project includes the replacement of the bridge’s superstructure – girders, deck and railings – as well as widening the roadway through the narrow passage of the Gorge.
While one travel lane remains open in each direction, motorists should slow down and drive carefully through work zones and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Alternate route and tips for drivers
Those seeking to avoid the construction work in the Virgin River Gorge may take Highway 91 as an alternate route. The highway bypasses the gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Littlefield, Arizona, to the south and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard. See map included in this article.
- To stay up to date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at AZ511.gov or call 511; outside of Arizona dial 1-888-411-ROAD (7623)
- For more information about this project, visit the website
- ADOT completes series of bridge projects, easing Gorge traffic restrictions
- ADOT begins largest bridge reconstruction project in Virgin River Gorge, Bridge No. 6 on I-15
- ADOT Advisory: Roadwork on bridges continues, motorists reminded to plan for delays
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.