Community offers support after fire destroys Hurricane home

The Clay family's home goes up in flames on Wednesday in Hurricane, Utah, Feb. 25, 2015 | Photo courtesy of Derek Visser, St. George News

HURRICANE — After a fire destroyed their home, car, truck and a recently purchased travel trailer Wednesday, the community is stepping up to help David and Tia Clay.


Read more: Fire rips through Hurricane home, damages 2 others; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery


The fire broke out in the garage of the Clay’s Hurricane home, located at 467 N. 230 West, destroying the home and damaging two others.

The Clays, who have two children under 3 years old and one more on the way, had recently moved into the home, friend and former neighbor Jen Stafford said.

A photo Tia Clay took after the fire in her home reminding her of what she still has, Hurricane, Utah, Feb. 25, 2015 | Photo courtesy of Derek Visser, St. George News
A photo Tia Clay took after a fire destroyed her home, reminding her of what she still has, Hurricane, Utah, Feb. 25, 2015 | Photo courtesy of Derek Visser, St. George News

“They are really wonderful people,” Stafford said. “Someone who is pregnant should not have to go through this, let alone, no one should have their house destroyed.”

Since the travel trailer was recently purchased there was no insurance on it, she said.

The timing of the fire is ugly, Stafford said, as she recalled the Clay’s move within the last couple months.

Stafford, who’s young son has cancer, said she knows what it’s like to receive help and aid from people.

She said the Clays had been great neighbors and friends to her over the past six years and said she had to do something to help. Stafford set up an account at Mountain America Credit Union for donations for the Clay family.

“I felt I had to give back,” Stafford said. “They are such good people and they need this.”

Friend and tenant of the Clays, Derek Visser, said the Clays are very deserving as they have always been giving to others.

“As I rent from them they have always brought me something for my birthday or anniversary,” Visser said. “I’ve just been renting, but they are giving and like that to everyone.”

Since the fire, Visser said the Clays have been staying with nearby family.

Fundraising

  • Visser created a GoFundMe page for the family with the goal of $5,000. A total of $1,635 has been raised in three days for the family
  • To  donate to the family’s Mountain American Credit Union account, created by Stafford, a donation can be given at any Mountain America Credit Union in the U.S. by mentioning David and Tia Clay or by referencing the account number 10037133

Ed. note: SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC has not verified the information provided in connection with the fundraising accounts referred to in this report and does not assure any disposition will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. Those considering contributions are advised to consult with their own professionals and to proceed at their own risk.

Related posts

Email: hcoombs@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

 

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , , , , , , ,

10 Comments

  • voice of reason March 1, 2015 at 9:41 pm

    What is it with this area and fundraisers? Something happened, quick lets give people money! Leave your kid to die in a car? Here’s $15,000. Burn your house to the ground by welding and grinding in an unsafe garage? Here’s $5,000. This behavior is disturbing. Here’s an idea, instead of giving money to the people who STARTED THE FIRE (accidentally), give it to the neighbors whose homes were damaged by the blaze.

    • fun bag March 2, 2015 at 12:35 am

      should of taken a cab instead of setting garage afire.

  • ladybugavenger March 1, 2015 at 11:07 pm

    How about giving a fundraiser to ladybugavenger. Now thats a brilliant idea and a worthy cause.

  • fun bag March 2, 2015 at 12:36 am

    ps: payout for cooked babies is higher than house fires

  • Free Parking March 2, 2015 at 12:52 am

    Oh shut up………

  • BIG GUY March 2, 2015 at 5:41 am

    Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

    But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent…

    • voice of reason March 2, 2015 at 8:15 am

      Ummmm, they had insurance. Is that payout not enough? And not having insurance on the travel trailer because “they just bought it” is a lousy excuse. You can get riders from your insurance company to cover anything the second you purchase it. Again, give the money to the neighbors whose homes were damaged. They are the true victims here.

  • sagemoon March 2, 2015 at 9:22 am

    Good call. Anyone know if there is a fundraiser for the neighbors’ whose houses were damaged?

  • fun bag March 2, 2015 at 6:11 pm

    gofundme has a lot of scams going. be careful

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.