ST. GEORGE — Byron Stripling Orchestra will perform during the Celebrity Concert Series Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Cox Performing Arts Center on the Dixie State University campus, 385 S. 700 East in St. George.
Byron Stripling is a spectacular trumpeter with a very wide range, a beautiful tone, and the ability to blend together many influences into his own style, Dixie State’s press release said. He is also the artistic director of the Columbus Jazz Orchestra, leader of his own quartet, and constantly in demand to play with pops orchestras around the world.
Byron is an extroverted performer who brings the audience into his music, the release said. The happiness that he exudes through his trumpet, his vocals and his words is reminiscent of Louis Armstrong, yet very much his own.
“I heard gospel music in church early on,” Stripling said. “In our house, music was essential to everything. My father loved jazz including Miles Davis, Clark Terry and Louis Armstrong. My brother played clarinet and sax and I played trumpet, starting when I was ten or eleven. I did a lot of singing from the start because, when your father is the choir director, you have to sing whatever he needs each Sunday.”
Due to his father’s work, Stripling’s youth was spent in several locations including Atlanta, Kentucky, Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis and Texas.
The Celebrity Concert Series is thrilled to present a jazz artist of Stripling’s caliber to St. George audiences, the release said. The concert is made possible by a generous sponsorship from the McFerson family. Nice dress is suggested.
The Celebrity Concert Series presents a variety of professional concerts on the campus of Dixie State University from October to April each year. Tickets can be purchased online, in person, or by telephone.
- What: Byron Stripling Orchestra featuring Bobby Floyd
- When: Thursday, March 5, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: DSU Cox Performing Arts Center, 385 S. 700 East, St. George
- Tickets: $20 adult, $15 youth, $5 DSU student | Tickets can be purchased online, in person at the DSU Ticket Office inside the Cox Performing Arts Center, or by phone at 435-652-7800
- Nice dress is suggested
- Mimi Blais performs fundraiser, Celebrity Concert scholarships; tickets on sale
- Celebrity Concert Series welcomes acclaimed pianist William Joseph
- ‘The Jive Aces’ perform; DSU Celebrity Concert Series