ST. GEORGE — The Washington County Democratic Party Convention is scheduled for March 21 where Democrats will have the opportunity to elect delegates to represent them at the 2016 State Convention.
The Washington County Democratic Party is also seeking interested candidates to run for the four positions on the executive committee: chair, vice-chair, treasurer and secretary. Party members who wish to be nominated for these positions or to apply to become a delegate for the State Convention should contact Della Lowe or Randy Thomson.
At a time when Utah citizens are grappling with new initiatives on equal protection/antidiscrimination, SB100, as well as efforts to dismantle the compromise on the Count My Vote initiative, the Democratic Party members are passionate about continuing forward on social justice and voting rights issues, according to the party’s press release.
Attendees can help shape the goals and agenda for the future. The delegates from Washington County, who go to the 2016 State Convention will reflect not only the concerns of Washington County citizens, the press release said, but also bring exciting ideas for solutions. The Convention will also host several members of the state Democratic Party.
“The WCDP follows an open meeting format, which allows all members of the community to participate in discussion of important issues,” said Della Lowe, current chair of the Washington County Democratic party. “Although only registered democrats may hold executive positions and only registered delegates may vote, we know that there are many issues which cross party lines and wish to hear what is important to the entire community. Our party will continue to fight for the interests of all citizens of our county and our state.”
The convention will also allow delegates to vote on a revised version of the Party By-laws and hear reports on the current State of the Party.
- What: Washington County Democratic Convention
- When: Saturday, March 21, 5 p.m.
- Where: Fossil Ridge Intermediate School, 383 S. Mall Drive, St. George, Utah
- Party members who wish to be nominated for these positions or to apply to become a delegate for the State Convention should contact Della Lowe by email or Randy Thomson by email
- State Democratic Chair visits So. Utah for social discussion on education, equality
- State Democratic Party chair guests at county’s ‘Talk and Tapas’ social
- Democrats of Southern Utah disband, combine with county party for camaraderie