ST. GEORGE – The Southern Utah dirt is about to fly again as the SGMX Motoproving Ground gets set to play host to the Midwest Area Loretta Lynn Qualifier Friday through Sunday.
Motocross racers of all ages and abilities will put their skill and speed to the test as they race on the dirt for guts, glory and a chance to move on to the regional qualifiers, and eventually the Loretta Lynn Amateur National Motocross Championship.
“This is a really prestigious event,” SGMX co-owner Michon Palmer said.
Of the United States, 32 states hold a combined total of 55 area-qualifiers, Palmer said, adding that in 2014, Utah held only one, which was hosted at SGMX. This year, Miller Motorsports Park will host an area-qualifier as well.
Race weekend will open with track practice on Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Racing will start Saturday and will go from 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. The action will continue on Sunday from 9:15 a.m. and will go until they finish, Palmer said, around 3 p.m.
CaféMX, the proving ground’s food vendor, will be open all weekend selling homemade food, Palmer said. There will also be music and a live announcer to keep the fun going and the crowd entertained.
Racers and spectators alike are invited to come enjoy a weekend of fast racing and good family fun, Palmer said.
“It is such a fun family sport,” Palmer said, “just a neat sport for families.”
Two-day tickets, Saturday-Sunday, for adults are $25; for children 6-11 they are $15; and children 5 and under are free.
Dry camping (no water/hookups) on the grounds is available for $10.
- What: SGMX Loretta Lynn Area Qualifier
- When: Practice: Friday, Feb. 20, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Racing: Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 21-22, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: SGMX Motoproving Ground, From Interstate 15 take Southern Parkway east to Exit 6 Desert Canyons Parkway, turn left under the overpass and follow the dirt road approximately one mile until you see the wooden entrance of SGMX.
- Cost: Two-day tickets, Saturday-Sunday: Adults: $25, Children 6-11: $15, 5 and under: Free. Prices vary for three-day and single-day tickets, see website
- Additional information: There will be camping available for $10. This is dry camping, no water or hookups.
- 3rd Annual Mesquite Off-Road Weekend approaches; tickets, racer registration
- 9-year-old supercross racer prepares for Monster Energy Cup
- Empowering the powersports enthusiast, Moto Zoo
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.