WASHINGTON CITY — A structure fire in Washington City left a family without their shed on Monday when the wind brought the remains of an agricultural burn back to life.
At approximately 4 p.m., members of the Washington City Fire Department responded to a structure fire near Harvest Lane, volunteer Washington City Fire Captain Jerry Allred said.
Earlier in the day, Allred said, the department was called to the same location for what ended up being an agricultural burn. After assessing the situation, the man burning the weeds was asked to not burn anymore that day because of the high winds.
When the call of another fire came in, Allred said, they at first thought it was the same agricultural burn, but then learned that a shed in the area had caught fire.
“We got it pretty well extinguished before,” Allred said, “but the wind just picked up and started … the building on fire.”
The flames from the shed reached up to 15 feet, Allred said, because of the plywood and other materials the shed was made of. The fire did not damage the home or other property, but the shed and all its contents will likely be considered a total loss.
While the man who is responsible for the agricultural burn will not be given a fine for the fire, Allred said, he will be held responsible for the cost of the shed. He also said he hopes people will take this as a lesson of when it is not a good idea to burn.
“People, when they are burning, got to be conscious,” Allred said. “You know, get a burn permit and then … if the wind is up you got to get stuff out; and don’t burn when it is windy.”
Videocast contributed by Reporter Melissa Anderson for KCSG and St. George News.
- Fire grounds private plane at St. George Airport
- Hurricane, Rockville-Springdale Fire districts discuss merging
- Super Bowl interrupted by structure fire in Santa Clara home; STGnews Videocast
- Crews respond to fire in Colorado City
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.