ST. GEORGE — Southern Utah author Deborah P. Schone will discuss her international humanitarian work at Thursday’s meeting of the Business and Ethics forum at Dixie State University’s Udvar-Hazy School of Business. The forum is held at noon in the Boeing Auditorium, Room 121 of the business building on the DSU campus, is free and open to the public.
Schone will share her experiences traveling to Africa, in particular Ethiopia, and Haiti to improve educational opportunities and infrastructure issues for the children in those countries.
About the Business and Ethics Forum
The DSU Business and Ethics Forum is held every other Thursday throughout the fall and spring semesters, with each guest lecturer speaking on business matters in their respective professions and how ethics are introduced into the discussion. Scheduled speakers for the remaining term are listed below.
The semimonthly forum, along with the DSU Institute for Business Integrity, was created by former DSU president Dr. Robert Huddleston in 2006, as a way to integrate ethics into the curriculum, and have it serve as a blueprint to ensure students graduate with a set of ethical tools to help them get along in the professional world.
In 2006-07, Dixie State’s business program sought initial accreditation with the high-profile Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. In order to become accredited with the AACSB, ethics were required to be integrated into the college’s business curriculum. As a result, each business class on the DSU campus now includes an ethical component.
The business forums will give students – and current and prospective local business owners – an added dose of ethics training that is sorely needed into today’s business world, Huddleston said. His hope, he said, is that by the time students leave Dixie State, they will have been exposed to enough ethical examples that when they get into the workforce, they will have the wherewithal and the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing, even when their job might be on the line.
The Dixie State University Institute for Business Integrity is a partnership between the DSU Udvar-Hazy School of Business, the Small Business Development Center, the Washington County Economic Development Council, and the St. George Area Chamber of Commerce.
Event details and resources
- What: Fundamentals for Success in the Business World
- When: Thursday, Feb. 5, at noon
- Where: Boeing Auditorium, Room 121, Udvar-Hazy Business Building, Dixie State University campus
- For questions regarding the DSU Institute for Business Integrity forums, contact Dr. Huddleston by email or 435-652-7740.
DSU Business and Ethics Forum schedule
- Mar. 5 | Cache Valley Bank president Scott Colton
- Mar. 19 | Squatty Potty owners Judy and Bill Edwards
- Apr. 2 | Bob Dalley, vice president and CFO of Deseret Power Electric Cooperative
- Apr. 16 | DSU business law and economics professor Travis Seegmiller
- 5 ‘Women of Achievement’ honored by Utah Business Women
- Police department warns public, business owners of counterfeit money circulation
- Attendees at economic summit positive about future; businesses, projects showcased