On the EDge: Don’t be so quick to judge, it really might be a conspiracy

OPINION – If you log enough miles on this rock you will eventually understand that there truly is little that occurs by coincidence and that history is written by the winners, which means it is filled with half-truths and, often, outright lies.

And, if you run enough laps around the sun in the news business, you also learn to question everything. I wish I had a dollar for every time a journalism teacher told a class: “If your mother says she loves you, get a second opinion.”

It would serve us all well to accept less and question more, especially when it comes from authority figures because, as my favorite TV character of all-time, Dr. Gregory House, said: “Everybody lies.”

Reader Cristian King contacted STGNews recently with concerns about why nobody has done anything about the collusion and ranging conspiracies that so many believe are at the heart of our society. He cited a study by noted psychologist Michael Wood that concluded that people who believe there’s something more than coincidence or an explanation beyond what we are told by those in power are generally nicer and easier to deal with in public forums such as debate and social media, that conspiracist commenters in public and social media circles were more likely to argue against the opposing interpretation and less likely to argue in favor of their own interpretation, while the opposite was true of conventionalist commenters. He said it’s an “underlying conspiracist worldview in which the details of individual conspiracy theories are less important than a generalized rejection of official explanations.”

In other words, more conspiracists are willing to say, “I know something happened, but I’m not buying the explanation from the authorities.”

There is definitely something to that line of thinking.

I don’t know about all the vapor trail and black helicopter stuff so many conspiracy buffs like to talk about, but, I know enough to realize that I don’t know everything and that there is an awful lot that has occurred over the years that makes me believe that there, indeed, have been far more conspiracies that have been successfully covered up than history has recorded.

Although we could go back to Julius Caesar to explore conspiracies, modern-day occurrences have had much broader impact on our lives.

There is, for example, the discussion out there that Franklin Delano Roosevelt actually committed suicide because he knew the devastation the world was about to endure with the development and deployment of the atomic bomb; that morally, he wouldn’t be able to give the final OK to use the weapon, even though his military leaders told him it would expedite the end of the war in the Pacific.

We move on to the killing of the Kennedy brothers, which even the most level-headed mind would have to eventually realize came at the hands of conspirators.

In 1999 a Memphis jury, hearing a wrongful death lawsuit filed against a man named Loyd Jowers, found, after a three-week trial, that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. died as the result of a conspiracy.

There are some limits, of course. I mean although I have seen the documentation that links the Bush family with the bin Ladens, I really don’t think there was a link between them and the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Bush was not one of the brightest bulbs in the marquee, but I don’t think he was really so stupid as to have been involved in a plot to take down the World Trade Center. As for Cheney? Even in the deepest, darkest corner of his black little heart, I don’t think he would have been involved in such a plot, either.

But, conspiracies are much different these days, going way beyond questioning the interesting Freemasonry markings on our money and what they really mean, or the inclusion of sacred geometry in our modern-day world.

All you have to do is follow the money.

Look at what power and greed have done to our Congress as it continues to be bought off by special interests like Big Oil, the medical and pharmaceutical industries, the automotive industry, and banking industry. If what’s going on between those lobbyists, wealthy campaign donors, and Congress isn’t a conspiracy I don’t know what is.

We don’t have royalty in the United States, but you know, we have had a lot of family names in power in one way or another, from the Bush family to the Kennedys and the Clintons. Let’s also not forget the Hunt family in Texas and the Koch brothers. And, we’ve got a lot of people in Congress who have been there an awful long time, building a sort of dynasty, including our own Sen. Orrin Hatch.

It gives the impression of sovereign power.

There are a lot of books out there on the Illuminati and groups that have held power for centuries. Some of it, of course, is rubbish, but some of it is not, leading a rational mind to ponder just how much is true.

If you turn to social media and the Internet, which has overcome all conventional media, you realize there are a lot of people grumbling about this, even if they don’t want to be labeled as conspiracists because of the ugly baggage the term packs.

But, they are conspiracists.

I recently saw a social media thread where a group of people were bemoaning the fact that the country is going down the tubes, nobody is doing anything about it, and it’s the same band of elitist “haves” dishing it out to the “have nots.”

They look at the 2016 presidential race as nothing more than a rerun with the same old faces running again and they look at their representatives as crooked, manipulative men and women. The conclusion? It’s all rigged.

So I had to post a comment asking if they voted, if they attended their city council meetings, if they wrote letters to their congressional representatives, if they took to the street in any form of protest, wrote letters to the editor, participated in more than a narrow social network thread, tried to reach a larger audience with their concerns. I asked if they were afraid to take these steps because their home is too nice, they like their big screen TVs too much, and like to overindulge in the fineries of life. It shut down the thread in a heartbeat.

I wasn’t surprised.

Being a conspiracist isn’t a bad thing. It simply means that you have some gray matter between your ears that makes you strong enough to question what is handed down by the powers that be. Those who don’t settle for some slick explanation by a politician, religious leader, public authority, or their tacky spokesperson – whose job is to manipulate the public – are truth seekers, unwilling to accept something on face value or because somebody in a position of authority says it is so.

Are there black helicopters flying overhead to help establish a New World Order?

I really don’t know. If you have some new evidence, be sure to share it. I’d like to know the truth.

But don’t be offended when I seek a second opinion.

Or even a third.

Ed Kociela is an opinion columnist. The opinions stated in this article are his and not representative of St. George News.

Email: edkociela.mx@gmail.com

Twitter: @STGnews, @EdKociela

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Posted in Columnists, Opinion / Columns / ShowsTagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Big Guy January 20, 2015 at 8:11 am

As always, thoughtful commentary. I differ with your use of the word “conspiracy.” I’m not an attorney, but I believe the term applies to group of people working (“conspiring”) together to accomplish an illegal act. A number of your references apply to individuals not telling the entire truth or slanting what they say to make themselves and their interests appear in a more favorable light than all the facts would warrant. That isn’t “conspiracy” anymore than an individual salesperson “conspires” when pointing out the positives and ignoring the negatives as we consider a purchase.

We all fret about money in politics. Money is there because government has inserted itself into so many facets of our lives. No large organization, from Exxon to the UAW to the AARP, can afford to forego trying to influence government policy since its vital interests are at stake.

We are in a politically difficult situation: do we ask government to “fix” all the problems that we see, or do we live with some problems and opt for smaller, less intrusive government. This dilemma is politically difficult because we all have different ideas about the role of government and the nature of the problems. More government “fixes” means more money in politics.

• Koolaid January 20, 2015 at 8:36 am

The only conspiracy I see is the koolaid that people drink causing them to claim imaginary things as fact. The Faux News Koolaid is a popular drink

• arts and letters January 20, 2015 at 8:56 am

Let’s start close to home on this one, Ed. Let’s start with Mitt Romney’s sudden change of heart and decision to run for President. Let’s start with the Mormon Church and their convenient “revelations.” Did Mitt have a revelation? Did the church seniors get hold of him and tell him how much they want a Mormon president – the crowning glory in the heritage of J. Smith, even better than everlasting life in some giant family reunion in the sky? Electing Mitt Romney would be the same as electing the high council to the presidency.

Let’s stay close to home and consider the coal mine owners who promise fixes but don’t make them. Miners die, hands get slapped and mine owners go right on.

In the scientific world there’s something called a “felt difficulty.” The term describes what you suggest – a feeling or sense or creepy tingling in the back of the neck that something’s wrong, but the feeler/senser doesn’t have enough information yet to know what that something is. Kind of like the person in the creepy old house in the horror movie who doesn’t really want to go up to the attic or down to the basement. Only an idiot stays on the stairs, but it does make for good screamy theatre.

News yesterday is that by 2016 about 1% of the population will hold half the wealth on the planet. Now that’s a boggling statistic. What are we to do? I hope you write a follow-up column with some words of wisdom and help for the rest of us who are hammered by the conspiracies. Anybody who’s watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” knows that the big guys don’t play fair but we don’t have any Jimmy Stewarts around these days to make it all right.

We can start by showing Mitt Romney the exit door – again.

• AtTheDefense January 20, 2015 at 12:14 pm

@Arts, I have a little tinfoil hat you can wear which may give you some comfort as you stew over your wild and farfetched “theories”. The Church does not seek the nomination of Mitt Romney. The Church supports neither Republicans nor Democrats. If you think that’s false then consider the LDS Church’s position on immigration which is NOT in line with the Tea Party Right. So you have spent way too much time worrying over something that is simply not true. If you don’t want Mitt Romney as President, then don’t vote for him, but there is obviously no conspiracy here.

• koolaid January 20, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Just as the church didn’t support proposition 8 or amendment 3? Uh huh, have some more koolaid

• AtTheDefense January 21, 2015 at 6:18 pm

No conspiracy at all KoolAIDS. Out in the open supporting a moral position. Not a thing contrary to what I already wrote. You really should stop smoking whatever it is that clouds your mind so.

• John January 20, 2015 at 9:08 am

people seeking to achieve an objective will always recruit others to gain power to accomplish the ends. This can be a good thing or a bad one. Only cheaters will hide the objective. Look for the truth to determine it’s worth.

• One for the road January 20, 2015 at 9:16 am

LOL yeah so is the koolaid. that Obama is drinking

• bully January 20, 2015 at 9:26 am

You got us thinking again Ed. Thanks.
    And Big Guy’s comments have us thinking even deeper. I better go eat some oatmeal. I think deep when I eat.

• ladybugavenger January 20, 2015 at 9:34 am

Holy cow, I’ve had uninsured/ underinsured motorist insurance the whole time,but it was only bodily injury, just added uninsured motorist/ property damage. OK, so I’m covered! What happened? People not having accidents and no drug bust, slow days in st George lately. Let’s talk about conspiracies, better yet government conspiracies…

• ladybugavenger January 20, 2015 at 9:57 am

Went ahead and got full coverage on my old car, I’m covered any which way. This towns accidents and idiots with no insurance made me nervous…sagemoon, I think I made it to middle class now. LOL..back to the story…

• Bunny2015 January 20, 2015 at 10:03 am

If you ever use it your rates will go way up. trust me..

• ladybugavenger January 20, 2015 at 10:34 am

I was just reading that, dang.

• mo ferguson January 20, 2015 at 12:55 pm

You can save 15% on car insurance by switching to GEICO…..

• ladybugavenger January 21, 2015 at 11:52 am

I have GEICO lol.

• Koolaid January 20, 2015 at 11:11 am

I’m surprised rates haven’t gone up just from all the accidents.

• Bunny2015 January 20, 2015 at 9:54 am

There has been a lack of new news stories on stgnews, keeping the old stories festering on the main page and allowing idiotic and mundane comments to accumulate on them like piles of dog turds. Lets get some stories rolling and move the old crap to the back. You people’s comment idiocy is only entertaining for so long.

• bully January 20, 2015 at 10:46 am

Put a cork in it Bugs Bunny. Take the time to do your taxes, then you might get the point of who’s conspiring. And hoping you pay no attention to commentors waking up crys to the fact that the Snake Oil salesman just sold you a bag of crap in the name of fairness.

• ladybugavenger January 20, 2015 at 11:14 am

Auto insurance, where if you file a claim your insurance goes up, and if you don’t file a claim, your insurance doesn’t go down. Now, there’s a racket. There has to be a government conspiracy in there somewher.

• NO INFO AVAILABLE January 21, 2015 at 1:40 am

Dumbunny. Your right about the idiocy of these comments. especially yours

• steve January 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Thank you Ed for daring to speak your mind and be willing to bring up topics that make people uncomfortable to discuss. I wanted to respond to your remark about Bush and 911. Your giving way to much power to Bush and Cheney. I do believe our gov was involved! Your right about Bush and Cheney being to stupid to pull it off, but when you research deeper you will find that they take orders from the top! Just do a little research on the dates 9/11. You will see its a very important date within the occult.

• steve January 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm

One more thing I gotta say! When was the last time many of you studied the sky. Im not just talking about the chemtrail that are dumped on us daily, but the night sky? Things are changing……..

• LeeHarveyO January 20, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Oh my… what must it be like to live in your’s and Ed’s twisted little, yes little, minds. You yourselves give way too much credit that “secrets” and conspiracies of such large magnitudes could really be pulled off. Nothing works that well. Chemtrails? Are you for real? And are you suggesting that perhaps even Bush himself is achangin’ the night sky. There is a place in Texas that pretty well sums it up, Wacko. Now try and find the hidden message in this post.

• steve January 23, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Lee…..your opinion just simply doesn’t really matter to me. Its not worth my time to debate with someone who has not done the research I have! You just simply aren’t equipped with the knowledge to really have an opinion on any of these subjects for that matter. Your anger and sarcasm alone shows the fear you hold deep inside of admitting that some of these things may be true. Also…chemtrails?? I hate to break it to you, but they are not a conspiracy, the gov has admitted to them. The reasons for them are what people differ on. So for just that alone, come back and I will have a real debate with you when are more equipped with knowledge and less sarcastic opinions.

• villager January 20, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Very interesting column and comments.
    I hope someday people will start making more questions rather than aligning themselves to any kind of “system ” that excludes, lies and destroys.
    I like your writings, Ed. Let’s keep rowing against the current . Thanks.

• Izenberg January 20, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Just wish I could see the look on your face. When you relies that the man in the tin foil hat was right all this time.