HILDALE – A fire in a Hildale apartment early Sunday morning has left a family without a home but resulted in no injuries.
The fire started about 1 a.m. Sunday and caused “significant damage” to the upstairs portion of a duplex apartment on Field Avenue, Colorado City Fire Chief Kevin Barlow said.
“No one was home,” Barlow said. “The family found it when they came home late at night.”
“It was just getting a head of steam and would have been quite a bit more severe if they hadn’t noticed it when they did,” he added.
The preliminary investigation indicated the fire started in an upstairs bedroom.
“We believe that it was a candle left burning on a nightstand,” Barlow said.
The apartment will require significant repairs to make it livable again, Barlow said. The family, consisting of a husband and wife and their children, went to stay with other family members Sunday, although Barlow said he does not know what their long-term plan is.
The fire was put out within about 10 minutes, and it took fire crews about another hour to finish up, Barlow said. Multiple units from Hildale and Colorado City responded to the blaze.
Barlow said he is grateful the fire wasn’t worse.
“It’s just a reminder to everyone to have good working smoke detectors,” he said, adding that a fire in a bedroom can quickly turn deadly without the warning that is provided by a functional smoke detector.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- Fire crews save home in Mesquite
- Names of burn victims in Cane Beds structure fire released
- Icy, foggy weather leads to 2 early morning accidents on state Route 389
- In the heat of the moment at winter fire school; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.