ST. GEORGE – Are you interested in learning more about your local Police Department? The St. George Police Department Citizens Academy is a great way to see what the police are doing and the resources that are available to the officers who are fighting crime in St. George.
The Citizens Academy consists of two sessions each week for eight weeks, and every division and unit is showcased. There are presentations from the bicycle patrol officers, the Drug and Gang Task Force, the Bomb Squad and the SWAT team.
“We find that most citizens are only somewhat familiar with the resources available to them through the St. George Police Department,” the department’s release stated.
On the popular “CSI” TV programs, investigators go out on every crime scene and come up with the suspect in 40 minutes. Before the hour is up, the case is solved and the suspect is in jail.
“But is that reality?” the department’s release said, inviting the public:
Come to the investigations segments to see the real CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) aspect: fingerprint processing, death and homicide investigations, along with fraud and identity theft investigations.
An application for the Citizens Academy can be obtained by contacting the police department and leaving your name and address. A limited background check will be done to make sure we are not divulging our processes to the wrong people. When this is complete, you will receive a letter of acceptance along with the schedule for the next Citizens Academy which begins Feb. 2 and will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8 p.m.
Email [email protected] and ask for an application, or stop by the station at 200 E. 265 N. in St. George and pick one up.
Best of all, the department said in its release, there is no cost for this valuable presentation and instruction.
“As a department,” the release said, “we strive for good customer service to members of our community. Along with that service, we promote the participation of citizens so that we have a community that is prepared to adapt to any crisis and has a vision to shape the future.”
- What: Citizens Academy session 19
- When: Feb. 3- April 2, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-8 p.m.
- Where: St. George Police Department, 200 East 265 North, St. George
- Apply: Email: [email protected] or pick up an application at the police department
- Learn more about the St. George Police Department by visiting their Web page or “liking” them on Facebook
- Receive real-time alerts on local crimes in progress, critical incidents
- St. George Police Citizens’ Academy involves public, community-oriented policing – 2013
- St. George Police announce 17th session of Citizens Academy – 2012
Email: [email protected]