Reyes recuses himself from defense of Count My Vote legislation

stock image | St. George News

SALT LAKE CITY – With the state being sued over legislation that made changes in how candidates can be selected, Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes has recused himself from taking part in the defense of the new law.

Earlier this month, the Utah Republican Party announced it was suing the state over House Bill 54, also known as the Count My Vote compromise bill. The bill offers potential candidates an alternative path to the ballot by gathering signatures rather than going through the caucus-convention process.

Leaders of the Utah Republican Party have said the legislation violates the party’s constitutional rights and the state doesn’t have the authority to tell a political party how to choose its candidates.

Though a Republican himself, Reyes said in an interview with St. George News in March that if the party sued the state, he would do his job regardless.

“The irony here is many people throughout the state know I am one of the strongest supporters of the caucus-convention system,” Reyes said. “If the party sues the state, the one defending that (law) will be me.”

However, Reyes released a statement Friday saying he was removing himself from the matter in order to avoid any potential conflicts. According to the statement:

Understanding it is not a perfect system, I have always expressed my support for Utah’s caucus and convention system. That alone would not necessitate my recusal on this case because a mere philosophical difference would never prevent me from fulfilling my duty. However, because I am an elected member of the governing body of the Plaintiff (The Utah Republican Party), and have contributed money to organizations, including the Party, in support of the caucus and convention system, I feel it is best to recuse myself from this case. My recusal will not impact the legal process or the AGO’s defense of SB 54. Some of our office’s most capable and experienced attorneys will be involved in defending the law.

HB 54 was an answer to the Count My Vote ballot initiative, which sought to do away with the state’s caucus-convention system entirely and replace it with a direct primary.

The compromise legislation was struck between members of the Legislature and Count My Vote officials, preserving the caucus-convention system and bringing an end to the ballot initiative. In exchange, it allows potential candidates a to bypass the caucus-convention system.

The initiative was backed by former Utah Govs. Michael Leavitt and Olene Walker and was also supported locally by Rep. David Clark, each members of the Republican Party.

The legislation takes effect in January.

Related posts

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

3 Comments

  • Koolaid December 20, 2014 at 8:10 pm

    Utah’s Good Ole Boy politics at work again?

  • getting flooded December 21, 2014 at 3:10 am

    That way he Dont have to be responsible for answering for his actions. This way he won’t have a mark on his record for saying the wrong thing. But any politician lies when there lips move

  • Dana December 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

    Having a caucus-convention allows the good ol boys to hand pick their candidates. Wake up, Utah!

Leave a Reply