SANTA CLARA – Crayons stuck in a wood-burning stove led to a family being evacuated from their Santa Clara home Saturday evening.
The St. George Communications Center received a fire call at approximately 6:20 p.m., and emergency responders were dispatched to the area of Ridgeview Drive and Hilltop Drive in Santa Clara.
Firefighters were called in to check for any damage and to ventilate the home, which had abruptly filled with smoke when the family decided to light their wood-burning stove, Santa Clara-Ivins Police Officer Chad Holt said. The cause of the smoke was ultimately found to be crayons that had been put in the stove by young children in the home.
No injuries were reported, though neighbors were concerned about the smoke possibly affecting the health of the family’s newborn baby, which was recently born prematurely.
The homeowner said the stove was recently inspected for safety. Tonight was the first time it had been lit this year.
The Santa Clara Fire Department and Santa Clara-Ivins Police Department responded to the incident.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Ed. note: CORRECTIONS: Santa Clara Fire Department, name corrected; Gold Cross Ambulance was not at this incident.
- Early-morning house fire displaces family
- House fire erupts as woman cooks dinner in new oven
- House fire causes $90,000 damage, displaces family of 6
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.