Multiple drug overdoses land group of partygoers in hospital

ST. GEORGE – Six individuals, ranging from 17-23 years of age, ended up in the hospital Saturday morning after displaying drug overdose symptoms following a Friday night party.

The initial overdose call came in at 9:40 a.m. Saturday, St. George Police Sgt. Sam Despain said, reporting that a 17-year-old female was experiencing a possible drug overdose at the Rebel’s Roost Apartments, a Dixie State University off-campus housing complex located at 83 S. 1000 East in St. George.

It was additionally reported that five other individuals – males and females – in the housing complex were either unresponsive or very sick and vomiting, Despain said.

“These individuals had reportedly been to a party and had taken something which we think had led to cause them to be sick,” he said.

St. George Police began an investigation into the incident and obtained a search warrant to search the housing unit for the substance or substances that had been used.

“We recovered what we expect to be hash oil, which is a derivative of marijuana,” Despain said, “and it is what we believe contributed to those individuals becoming ill.”

Two of the individuals were transported by ambulance to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, Despain said, and four others were transported by private vehicle to the emergency room – all with the same symptoms of being sick and vomiting. All were suspected of ingesting what police believe to be the hash oil.

“When (emergency responders) got there,” St. George Police Lt. Joe Hartman said, “they were told that they had a woman who had taken some prescription drugs. After looking into it further, they didn’t believe that was the case, and later learned that multiple people in the apartment complex had taken what they believed was some highly concentrated THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the active constituent of marijuana and hashish).”

In addition to the hash oil, several items of drug paraphernalia were located during the search, Hartman said.

Despain didn’t rule out the possibility that the hash oil was compounded or mixed with another substance but said that has yet to be determined.

“We’re still interviewing those involved and people that were there, trying to determine who and how they got this substance, and looking at all possibilities of whether there were any other drugs involved – that may be the case. However, right now, it’s still under investigation,” Despain said.

At the time of this publication, no arrests have been made. Nonetheless, charges may be pending when the investigation concludes, he said.

Despain added he did not know the current condition of the six individuals at the time this report is published.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Ed. note: Views on the safety and possible side effects of marijuana vary. Full analysis of alternate views and medical studies is beyond the scope of this report.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • ladybugavenger December 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm

    This drug overdose call is being handled better than the last one where drugs were also.found…everyone remember how that overdose call turned out?

    • sagemoon December 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

      Yep! It’s good to see law enforcement has been brought up to speed.

  • Ann Anna Mouse December 8, 2014 at 9:05 pm

    I just think this should be more about whether they’re alright or not. Not if they got arrested. Jeez life is … sometimes.
    Ed. ellipsis.

  • ladybugavenger December 8, 2014 at 9:18 pm

    This one is about whether they are alright or not and not about being arrested before further investigation. Unlike last time the girl called 911 and saved the guys life and she got arrested on the spot

  • Steve December 8, 2014 at 10:09 pm

    Stupid kids. And there are adults just like them. Don’t do drugs, people. For one thing, I don’t want the problems that causes in my town. We have a great place to live. Don’t mess it up.

  • Koolaid December 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

    Should have passed on seconds with the brownies.

  • Thinking.... December 8, 2014 at 11:14 pm

    Most likely a good headache and slap on the hand. It would have been made known if they weren’t ok. The focus should not be on the suspected “Hash oil” but on the contributing factors like the paraphernalia or the not mentioned. Alcohol seems to sound probable, along with, as mentioned, prescription drugs,”not the case”. Drinking and pharmaceuticals kill people. Not marijauna or it’s derivatives.

    • Mike December 9, 2014 at 9:11 am

      Hey THINKING, maybe you should read where the article said, “Despain didn’t rule out the possibility that the hash oil was compounded or mixed with another substance but said that has yet to be determined.”

      • Mike December 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

        And that quote is also aimed at Tyler and Keaton’s comment.

    • sagemoon December 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

      I agree there has got to be more to this party than just hash oil. I hope STG news does a follow up so we know what else they may have ingested. If it wasn’t what the kids expected, I hope they are smart enough to turn in the person who sold it to them. That person could kill someone by selling a drug that is not what it seems.

      • mo ferguson December 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

        Could have been any one of those traveling unlicensed pharmacists we’ve been reading about, here on STGNews.

    • cha cha December 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm


  • Keaton December 9, 2014 at 2:37 am

    hash? Really? Drug overdose? … retards! Get real. Hash? Really?!!!
    Ed. ellipsis.

  • SSfreeze December 9, 2014 at 5:15 am

    No one was dancing so there were no arrests.

  • tyler davis December 9, 2014 at 5:36 am

    Um this article is crap. You Cannot overdose on thc impossible never has there ever been a case were anybody has overdose and it died smoking, eating, drinking marijuana ever those kids are doing something else no way they overdosed on marijuana. Good luck with this town with attitude like this about marijuana. #endthewarondrugs #legalizeit

  • Joe Smith December 9, 2014 at 5:37 am

    just good kids having a bit of fun. nothing to worry about.

  • koolaid December 9, 2014 at 6:51 am

    Wanna bet they get harsher reprimands than the drunk Washington County Sheriff who wrecked the sheriff truck with his kids and a weapon?
    Ed. note: The person Koolaid is referring to was not the sheriff but worked for his office.

    • mo ferguson December 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm

      Haha….KOOLAID got schooled. A sheriffs deputy actually. Way to go Joyce.

  • Herd December 9, 2014 at 6:58 am

    Six of them hallucinating? They seem like prime candidates for mayor and city council.

  • MmmBacon December 9, 2014 at 7:28 am

    Sounds like a fun party! take drugs, get sick, puke, see big dragons, go to the ER, end up on the news; MY KIND OF FUN!!

    • Koolaid December 9, 2014 at 12:09 pm

      In other places, this sounds like a church revival, the ones where they drink arsenic or handle poisonous snakes for Jesus. Doesn’t the temple have secret rituals like that to prove one’s worthiness?

  • Kyle December 9, 2014 at 8:25 am

    THC does not make you vomit… And you cannot overdose on it. Maybe Saint George wil catch up with current information and technology.

  • Gray Wolf December 9, 2014 at 9:11 am

    No one gets sick from hash oil. Ridiculous to even say sich a thing. Probably food poisoning from the cheapskate brothers that own the MickyD franchises in SG.

  • bg December 9, 2014 at 9:18 am

    Somebody needs to go back to drug school . this wasn’t a hash oil OD

  • Wow December 9, 2014 at 12:32 pm

    thats the integrity and logic of the head of drug task force. Dt. Despain is a flaming imbasole. Try a simple Google search of drugs that cause that kind of reaction. My taxes pay for this piss poor detective work?

  • mo ferguson December 9, 2014 at 12:58 pm

    I am amazed at all the local “illicit drug experts” who comment on what and what didn’t cause the ODs. Actually I’m glad to know that they live amongst us. Makes me that much more aware of the type(s).

    • Koolaid December 9, 2014 at 2:04 pm

      I’ve learned a lot about how people overdose on the church koolaid and the brain damage it causes, not to mention how those church koolaid addicts suddenly start spending their money on more church koolaid. Dangerous stuff.

      • Robb Willie December 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

        Seriously, do you even have a life?

  • Mean Momma December 10, 2014 at 6:44 pm

    Is this one of DoTerra’s oils?

  • selfsame December 11, 2014 at 6:26 pm

    how can the “journalist” responsible for this crap article live with themselves? the headline implies that the authorities know what caused the illness, and they don’t. this is a flimsy excuse for reporting, go back to school and learn how to relate the facts of the story without using your biased assumptions.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.