ST. GEORGE — Cars by the dozens, toys by the hundreds, and approximately $2,396 in cash donations were all fruits of the fourth annual Car Guys Care “Toys for Tots Classic Car Show & Shine” at Ricardo’s Restaurant on Bluff Street in St. George Saturday from 2-4 p.m.
Community members brought cars, new unwrapped toys, and monetary donations while they enjoyed looking at a line of custom-built, classic, vintage, hot rods and sports cars. A remote broadcast from Cherry Creek Radio’s John and Dave Hiatt, visits with Santa Claus, and a live band performance from The Flying Monkeys were all part of the event.
(story continues below)
Videocast by Melissa Anderson and Holly Coombs, KCSG and St. George News
The car show began as a way to help bring donations to the Toys for Tots Foundation when Southern Utah car clubs, including Southern Utah Mustang Owners Association & Classic Ford Club, Rods & Rebels Hot Rod Club, Color Country Corvettes, Southern Utah All-Gens Camaro Club, Dixie 4 Wheel Drive, and MSG Productions, wanted to donate toys they had collected to help kids. The show has previously been held at the Iceberg Drive Inn on St. George Boulevard in St. George but moved to Ricardo’s Restaurant this year to allow more room for more cars and participants.
John Heinz, a member of Southern Utah Mustang Owners Association & Classic Ford Club, said a new location may yet be in store for next year due to the overflow of cars in the parking lot and line along the street next to the restaurant.
St. George resident Katie Blake attended the event with her husband, Josh Blake, and 2-year-old son, Everett Blake. Katie Blake said her son loves cars and he was also excited to bring a toy to donate to kids in need.
“All the time we went to buy the toy he was telling anyone who would listen that he was getting a toy for kids who needed one for Christmas,” she said. “He was very excited.”
The Blakes plan to come and donate every year, Katie Blake said, and find it to be a great way of teaching their son the importance of serving others.
“He doesn’t understand a donation of money,” she said, “but donating a toy makes sense to him and he loves it.”
Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots, a Marine Corps’ nationwide organization that started in 1927, was created to bring toys to needy children for Christmas. Retired Marine Gy. Sgt. Rick Massey, who had been on recruit duty in Washington County during his service, was appointed to coordinate the program in the area.
Massey said this year was the biggest “Toys for Tots Classic Car Show & Shine” he’d ever seen. Hundreds of toys including approximately 17 bikes were donated at the event.
“They’ve always done a great job,” he said. “We have a lot of toys, a lot of monetary donations from them, but this year by far, these guys have well exceeded any imagination as to how many vehicles were here; look at the toys, 16, 17 bikes here. We’re going to make a lot of kids happy.”
A monetary donation jar that was passed around during the event was filled with about $2,396 at the end of the show when it was presented to Massey. The cash donations are used to buy toys for older children in need of toys during Christmas, Massey said. A list of Toys for Tots drop-off locations in the Washington County area can be found here.
At The Crossroads, The Learning Center for Families, the Dove Center, and the Washington County Children’s Justice Center are among some of the groups the Toys for Tots Foundation serves along with hundreds of needy families in the community, Massey said.
Toys for Tots drops and incentives
- Stephen Wade Toyota | Bring in a toy, get a 5 quart oil change if more oil is needed the customer pays the difference
- Jones Paint & Glass | Bring a $20 cash or check donation, or an unwrapped toy with a receipt showing it is of $20 value and receive a free windshield rock chip repair
- IFA Country Store | Bring in a toy and each toy provided will earn you an entry into a prize drawing, which includes $50 gift certificates and various merchandise in the store
- Kenworth Sales St. George| Bring in a toy and get 10 percent off a purchase of $100 or more
Toys for Tots upcoming events
- What: Washington Wal-Mart Toys for Tots Drive
- When: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Washington City Wal-Mart, 625 W Telegraph St, St. George
- What: Association of Retarded Citizens Dinner. The Elks Lodge will be sponsoring a dinner for ARC. The Marine Corps will assist other volunteers and local law enforcement agencies to help with the dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus will be present to hand out gifts to ARC.
- When: 5:30 to 9 p.m.
- Where: Elks Lodge, 630 W 1250 N, St George
- What: Coins for Kids Shopping Spree. The Marine Corps will join forces with KONY Coins for Kids and the community to support the shopping endeavor. Bring your best walking shoes and smiles to enjoy an evening of shopping and fun.
- When: 5 to 9 p.m.
- Where: Bloomington Wal-Mart, 2610 Pioneer Rd, St. George
- What: Coins for Kids Gift Wrapping. The Marine Corps will join KONY Coins for Kids in gift wrapping
- When: 8 a.m.
- Where: Dixie Center, 1835 S Convention Center Dr, St. George
- What: Coins for Kids Present Deliveries. Anyone can help make deliveries to the kids.
- When: 3-8 p.m.
- Where: Dixie Center, 1835 S Convention Center Dr, St. George
- What: Toys for Tots Deliveries. Anyone can help make deliveries to the kids.
- When: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Where: 450 North 3050 East, St. George
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Car Guys Care about Toys for Tots; new location for classic car show; opportunities
- KONY Coins for Kids, USMC Toys for Tots are in full swing; join the effort
- Toys for Tots Classic Car Show – Event announcement for Dec. 6, 2014
- Car Guys Care revving up for Toys for Tots Car Show
- Toys for Tots revs up for Christmas: Car show Saturday, business participants
- KONY Coins for Kids gives Christmas to 1,600 local children; STGnews Videocast – 2013
- Santa & Mrs. Claus pay surprise visit to ‘Shop with a Cop’ kids; STGnews Videocast, photo gallery – 2013
- STGnews Videocast: Coins for Kids gift wrapping; holiday volunteer opportunities still available – 2012
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.