KANE COUNTY – The Kane County Sheriff’s Office released a notice Saturday morning that a new scam may be circulating in the Kanab area.
Someone has reportedly been calling Kanab residents and posing as a representative from South Central Communications, the notice said. The scamster has allegedly been informing people over the phone that their South Central account is past due and will be disconnected immediately if a payment is not made right then – presumably via a credit card.
“This person or persons is not a representative of South Central Communications. Please do not provide them your credit card information,” the notice said.
Instead, anyone receiving such a call should tell the person on the phone they are going to hang up and call South Central Communications directly. They should then call 888-826-4211, which is the South Central Communications toll-free number. It is also recommended that anyone receiving such a call should note the phone number on their caller ID and report it to South Central Communications, so the phone number can be turned over to law enforcement.
- Anyone receiving a call from South Central Communications they suspect to be fraudulent should immediately call South Central Communications at 888-826-4211
- Police warn of scammer attempting to collect fines, issuing warrant threats
- Garfield County burglary suspect arrested in St. George
- SCAM ALERT: False arrest warrants circulating in Iron County
- SCAM ALERT: Police warn of recent utility scam
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.