ST. GEORGE — Dixie State University is warming up for two public concerts: The DSU Percussion Ensemble on Dec. 9; and the DSU Jazz Ensemble on Dec. 10. Both concerts will be held in the Mainstage Theater of the Eccles Fine Arts Center at 7:30 p.m.
The Percussion Ensemble will present works that span almost the entire length of the 20th and into the 21st centuries. Selections include Mahler’s Adagietto from his fifth symphony with marimbas replacing the strings and harp, and Ostinato Pianissimo by modern music pioneer Henry Cowell. The percussion group will also include a set of Central American songs played in a traditional style and several contemporary works.
The Jazz Ensemble, will be led by Music Department Chair Glenn Webb. The ensemble will perform music from the libraries of Michael Bublé, the Village Vanguard Orchestra, Gerry Mulligan, and Phil Spector. Also on the program are exciting arrangements that break from the traditional big band sound and feature student soloists in contemporary settings. Southern Utah favorite Wooden Tantrum, featuring DSU graduate Tara Tichenor, will round out the evening performing Celtic-Irish music.
The university’s cultural arts staff provides the lighting and sound design for the concerts.
There will be a live-tweeting seating section for audience members during the Jazz Ensemble concert to receive additional insight into the performance via #dsujazz.
Tickets for both concerts are available at the door or through the DSU Ticket Office. All tickets are $5 per person, $1 for DSU students and faculty and staff. High school musicians may receive complimentary tickets to both shows by contacting the DSU Music Department at 435-652-7984.
Event details and resources
- What: DSU Percussion Ensemble concert and DSU Jazz Ensemble concert
- When: Percussion Ensemble, Dec. 9, at 7:30 p.m. | Jazz Ensemble, Dec. 10, at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Mainstage Theater, Eccles Fine Arts Center, Dixie State University, 225 South 700 East, St. George
- Tickets: $5 per person, $1 for DSU students
- DSU Ticket Office: website | Telephone: 435-652-7800
- Cellist-pianist duo bring benefit concert for Montessori playground fund
- University’s presidential inauguration, a hallmark in Dixie State’s history; public event
- Dixie University celebrates 1 year smoke-free campus with smokeout