ST. GEORGE – Gobble, gobble! It’s time to waddle as St. George Races invites the community to take part in its annual Turkey Trot 5K and 1 mile fun run and walk to be held Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at Seegmiller Historical Farm.
This decades old St. George tradition is a family friendly race that collects canned goods to donate to Dixie Care and Share as well as provides the running community and the community at large a low cost opportunity to get out and participate in a race, Recreation Coordinator Aaron Metler said.
The entry fee for participants ages 9 and up is $5 plus a donation of three canned goods. Participants ages 8 and under are free with a donation of three canned goods. Canned goods are preferred, Metler said, but other foods with long shelf lives are also accepted.
“We want to collect as much food as possible,” Metler said. “We like to weigh it to see how much we have collected.”
Last year the community donated close to 1,000 pounds of canned goods to give to the Dixie Care and Share, Metler said adding that they, the race staff, love delivering it personally and pulling up with a big trailer full of food.
Though three canned goods is the minimum donation, Metler said that many families bring well over that amount.
The turkey trot also acts as a “thank you” from St. George Races to those who have come out to support their events throughout the year, Metler said.
Prizes, including frozen turkeys, will be raffled off to participants at the end of the race as an expression of appreciation and as a way to encourage people to come and donate food.
This is an un-timed fun run and, Metler said, participants are encouraged to dress up. Metler, who will be donning a turkey costume for the event, said it helps keep the race unique.
Onsite registration for the event begins at 8:15 a.m. and race start is at 9:30 a.m.
Event details and additional information
- What: Turkey Trot 5K and one mile fun run/walk to collect food for Dixie Care and Share
- When: Saturday, Nov. 22 | On-site registration: 8:15 a.m. | Race start: 9:30 a.m.
- Where: Seegmiller Historical Farm, 2450 South 3000 East, St. George
- Cost: Ages 9 and up: $5 plus three canned goods | Ages 8 and under: three canned goods
- Additional information: This is an un-timed run and not part of the St. George Runner’s Series. Frozen turkeys and other prizes will be raffled off at the end of the event
- Website: Turkey Trot
- Snow Canyon Half Marathon attracts runners from afar; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Washington County on the run; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- St. George Marathon: Locals take 1st place in men’s, women’s categories; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Chelsi’s Run 5K lights up night with fun, remembrance: STGNews Photo Gallery
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.