ST. GEORGE – John C. Messer worked for Southern Utah Power in Cedar City prior to enlisting in the Army. Because of his training as a lineman for the power company, shortly after basic training, he was given an instructor position teaching other Army recruits to climb poles.
Later, Messer was sent to Korea where he worked on building and maintaining communication lines, power lines, and electrical generators in several areas during the Korean War.
Messer passed away on Christmas morning 1997. Messer’s son, David Messer, created the following video to pay tribute to his father’s honor.
Videocast courtesy of Ancestry Memories, St. George News
- WWII veterans receive hero’s welcome home on return from Honor Flight
- Veteran stories: Two dollars that saw one through World War II
- Veterans Aware: Noted author Bridget Cantrell lectures on rebuilding life with PTSD; free, reserve a seat
- National Parks waive entrance fees for Veterans Day
- Native American Heritage, Veterans Day ceremony, demonstration
- Stewart holds town hall meeting with veterans, fields frustrations
- US Navy Blue Angels give private audience to So. Utah veterans, a mutual gratitude
Email: [email protected]