ST. GEORGE – Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument has announced a new seasonal road closure for Kelly Point (National Park Service Road 1203) beginning this winter. The seasonal closure will begin each year on the third Monday in November and the road will stay closed through the last Friday in March. The road will close this year on Nov. 17, 2014, through March 27, 2015.
The seasonal closure during the winter months is being implemented to protect the area from damage caused by vehicles driving on muddy roads, which can create deep ruts. Improper vehicle use in muddy conditions can widen roads, change natural drainage patterns in fragile meadows, and cause damage to vegetation and other natural and cultural resources.
Kelly Point is also very isolated and difficult to access, Park Superintendent Rosie Pepito said.
“We don’t have routine ranger patrols during the winter months and the road is not maintained,” Pepito said. “The temporary closure is the best way to protect the road, park resources and to keep the public safe.”
When traveling anywhere within the Monument, be prepared for remote and primitive road conditions. Don’t rely on cell phones for emergencies or GPS devices for accurate navigation information. Always stay within the limits of your ability and plan for the unexpected. Never drive beyond the limits of the vehicle, and in case of mechanical breakdown, stay with the vehicle. Always have one, and preferably two, full size spare tires, a jack, and a toolkit.
If you travel into the monument, be prepared to spend the night. Carry water – at least one gallon of water per person per day, food, and warm clothing. Remember that weather conditions can change rapidly. Washes and narrow canyons are subject to flash floods; thunderstorms can produce dangerous lightning; sleet and snow can occur year-round in the mountains.
- Contacts: Scott Sticha at 435-688-3377 |Ray Klein at 435-688-3280
- Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument website
- Printable / savable pdf: Vehicle Preparation and Safety Precautions for Winter Weather
- What to do if you’re stuck in snow, safety kit list
- Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument receives International Night Sky Province designation
- BLM seeks input on Uinkaret Mountains Landscape Restoration Project; public meetings
- Grand Canyon designates 1956 TWA-United Airlines accident landmark