ST. GEORGE — St. George firefighters extinguished a fire Saturday afternoon in a duplex on Canyon View Drive in St. George.
Just before 5 p.m., Linda Preece said, she was heating up her oven to cook dinner and had left the kitchen when she started to smell smoke and the smoke detectors began sounding.
“I went into the kitchen and opened the door to the stove and smoke started billowing out,” she said. “I couldn’t find my phone and ran to my neighbors’ houses to call 911 but no one was home. I came back to my house and searched through my covers and finally found my phone and called 911.”
St. George Police officers, Gold Cross Ambulance, five St. George fire engines and one ladder truck responded to the scene.
Smoke was billowing out of the front door, Preece said.
“I just barely got this oven and this was the first time I used it,” she said. “I was crying my eyes out because I couldn’t find my cat.”
Firefighters entered the house in waist-high smoke and were able to extinguish the fire within minutes without the use of water, St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said. The oven was a natural gas appliance and had food in it. The fire started in the lower area near the broiler and then spread to the front area and the back wall, Stoker said.
“There was about $3,000 worth of damage, mostly to the surrounding cabinets,” Stoker said. “And she will need to replace the oven.”
The cat was found hiding under a bed in one of the rooms and was unharmed by the fire, he said.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by responders on scene and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- Fire crews respond to fire at Panda Express
- Children evacuated after preschool catches fire
- House fire in Santa Clara causes $40,000 in damage, displaces 3
Email: [email protected]