ST. GEORGE – The Washington County School District Foundation, with the help of the St. George Chamber of Commerce, will host a Halloween-themed Spooky Town Fair Friday and Saturday at St. George Town Square, 50 S. Main St. in St. George. The event will feature carnival games and bounce houses, food vendors, costume and pumpkin carving contests and much more, all in an effort to raise money for the school district.
The Washington County School District Foundation is the fundraising arm of the school district. Its purpose, according to the foundation’s Web page, is to enhance the quality of education for students in the district by providing needed resources through private funding that are not provided through traditional sources. To that end, the foundation organizes multiple fundraising efforts throughout the year, including the Dixie Power Kite Festival, golf tournaments and the Spooky Town Fair. Money earned from the fundraisers directly benefits students in the Washington County School District.
One of the primary focuses of the foundation is to fund the teacher grant program, which allows teachers the opportunity to apply for grants of up to $500 to help enhance their classrooms.
“The grant program has been our primary focus for the last couple of years,” Washington County School District Foundation board member Pam Graf said. “Who knows better than a teacher in the classroom the needs for their school? That is how we impact the most students.”
Full schedule of Spooky Town Fair activities
- Noon: Vendor booths open and entertainment begins
- 2 p.m.: Stroller decoration contest
- 3 p.m.: Carnival games and bounce houses open, diaper derby
- 3:45 p.m.: Costume contest
- 4:30 p.m.: Pet talent contest
- 5 p.m.: Pumpkin carving contest; bring your own pumpkin, carving tools and garbage bag
- 7 p.m.: Spooky Town Fair closes
- 10 a.m.: Spooky Town Fair opens
- 11:15 a.m.: McDonald’s hamburger eating contest; participants selected from audience
- 12:15 p.m.: Costume contest
- 1 p.m.: Hula Hoop contest, bring your own hoop
- 1:30 p.m.: McDonald’s high school hamburger eating contest
- 2:15 p.m.: McDonald’s hamburger eating contest; participants selected from audience
- 3:30 p.m.: Pet costume contest. Costume categories: scariest, best, most original
- 4:15 p.m.: Costume contest
- 5 p.m.: Spooky Town Fair closes…until next year
All contests will take place on the east stage.
Get Away Today Vacations, an Ogden-based company that provides support and sponsorship to school districts throughout the state, will be giving away a three-day, two-night stay in either San Diego or Anaheim, California, as well as two adult one-day tickets to either Sea World or Disneyland, Graf said.
District students received a flyer with a ticket for the drawing. Students wishing to enter need to take their ticket to the foundation ticket booth at the Spooky Town Fair.
This is a family fun event with great opportunities to play games, eat good food, enjoy live entertainment and get in the Halloween spirit, all while helping support education in the district.
- When: Friday, Oct. 24, noon-7 p.m. | Saturday, Oct. 25, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Where: St. George Town Square, 50 S. Main St., St. George
- Cost: Free to attend; food vendors and activity costs vary
- Additional Information: This is a fundraiser for the Washington County School District Foundation. Proceeds will benefit students in the district. Attendees should wear costumes.
- For more information, visit the Spooky Town Fair website
- Additional information about the Washington County School District Foundation is available here
- Chamber of Commerce discusses recent lockout, expresses teacher appreciation
- Colorful kites, eager kids raise $40,000 for school district at Dixie Power Kite Festival; STGnews Videocast
- Sun City residents, staff raise $18,000 for school reading program
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.