Bike rider, man who hit him may both face citations

Steven Mason sits on the curb after getting hit by a car while riding his bike near 750 N. 2720 East in St. George, Utah, Oct. 19, 2014 | Photo by Aspen Stoddard, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A 22-year-old man riding a bicycle was hit by a car Sunday afternoon at 750 N. 2720 E. in St. George which resulted in possible citations for both parties.

At about 1:46 p.m., Steven Mason, of St. George, was riding his black and grey bicycle against traffic on the sidewalk along 2720 East, St. George Police Sgt. Spencer Holmes said. As Mason entered the intersection of 750 North, Joel  Alberts, driving a white 2015 Ford Fusion, was stopped at the stop sign at 750 North and pulled out to make a right turn onto 2720 East and collided with the bicycle.

Mason was not wearing a helmet, Holmes said.

Danielle Dammann, of St. George, was driving northbound on 2720 East and said his stomach dropped when he saw the accident occur.

“I was going to take my kids to the park,” Dammann said. “I saw the car stopped at the stop sign and the man on the bike about to pass in front of him. I didn’t think the car was going to pull out and then he did. When they hit, the man on the bike rolled over the hood and landed face down in the road. At first he didn’t move. I called 911. He tried to get up and stumbled. I told him to sit down until someone showed up.”

Gold Cross Ambulance and St. George Police responded to the scene.

Mason said he was just headed home from the store and saw the car stopped at the stop sign and figured he’d just ride through.

“One second I was riding along and then I was like ‘oh crap!'” Mason said. “It knocked the air out of me. Then I just sort of blacked out. I’ve been riding my bike around here my whole life. Everyone who rides should get a helmet and wear pads.”

Mason said he has an abrasion on his left cheekbone and that it’s hard for him to move his left arm.

Alberts said he pulled up to the stop sign in his car and didn’t see Mason.

“I started to turn and hit him,” Alberts said. “I feel awful.”

Alberts drove home and came back in a truck to give Mason and his bike a ride home.

There are possible pending citations for both parties involved, Holmes said, and charges will be screened through the St. George City Attorney.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by responders on scene and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Related posts

Email: astoddard@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

• just saying October 19, 2014 at 8:11 pm

About time cyclists start getting considered for citations as well when involved in accidents.

• Jalee Scott October 19, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Danielle Dammann is NOT a man. FYI

• beerbelly October 20, 2014 at 8:34 am

Bicycles are vehicles and are supposed to ride with traffic, obeying all traffic laws, i.e. stop signs, speed limits and right of ways. Riding on the sidewalk against traffic is an accident waiting to happen.
    That being said, the driver needs to look for everything, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians before he proceeds through the intersection.

• Koolaid October 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

In this case, that big letter ‘D’ on the hillside stands for Darwinism, proving that the natural process of survival and longevity depends on intellectual abilities, instincts and sound judgement.

• Ricky MacGyver October 20, 2014 at 11:43 am

I’m glad to see a bicyclist held accountable for not obeying traffic laws. They seem to skate along immune to stopping, signaling, or yielding as if they were entitled. Hats off to the cop who took issue here.

• Koolaid October 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Bicyclists around St George are idiots, from those DUIs (riding bikes for their DUIs resulting in their driver licenses revoked) to those self-absorbed cyclists who act like they are entitled to the entire road for their race training rides. One side represents the idiots and the other the self-absorbed aholes.

• trolololo October 20, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Don’t forget the idiots who can’t understand that bicycles are vehicles which have to obey the same traffic laws as other vehicles, and are therefore entitled to the same lanes of travel. You labelled yourself, Koolaid. Self-absorbed ahole.

• Sweet Jude October 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Drivers should get the ticket every time, especially the speedos. There is no place in the world that has more ignorant, selfish, impulsive, empty-headed drivers like here in this town. LA is exponentially safer to drive through than here.

• tc rider October 21, 2014 at 9:52 am

I ride my bike on sidewalks all the time because of two close calls of vehicles swerving accross bike lanes and one time vehicle hit curb right behind me and missed by inchess.
    Both incidents people were on cell phones and Alot of people driving around here must have very important bussiness to attend to, if they have to talk on phones while they drive.
    Unti law enforcment or some new technology comes out that will jam cell phone signals in cars, I will continue to ride my bikes on the sidewalks.

• Ralph October 28, 2014 at 12:08 pm

My question is how does some one ride salmon on a sidewalk which by definition has two way traffic? That being said riding on a sidewalk is more dangerous than being on the road. I have no idea if it is legal in this jurisdiction or not. He should have stopped for the car who was stopped already. Especially since drivers are not expecting riders, who are faster than pedestrians, to come from that direction.