SALT LAKE CITY – Gov. Gary R. Herbert has authorized the lowering of the flag of the United States of America and the flag of the State of Utah on Sunday to memorialize fallen firefighters in observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service weekend.
Gov. Herbert issued the following statement:
Today we pay tribute to the brave men and women who gave the greatest sacrifice to protect their fellowmen from danger and disaster caused by fire. Firefighters put their own lives on the line to rescue others from the threats of uncontained fire and for that they deserve our sincere respect and our heartfelt thanks.
The flags shall be flown at half-staff on all state facilities from sunrise to sunset on Oct. 12.
- Neighbors alert residents of home fire, one firefighter injured
- Remembering firefighter Julie Woods, honoring her service; STGNews Photo Gallery
- Benefit event supports family of fallen Cedar City firefighter, Joe Thurston
- UPDATE: Black Mountain Fire 4,000 acres, two firefighters sent to hospital
- Volunteer firefighter electrocuted in New Harmony Thursday
- Firefighter hospitalized from Toquerville Falls Fire
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.