ST. GEORGE – St. George Fire Department responded to reports of a fire Wednesday night at the Panda Express, located at 245 North Red Cliffs Drive, in St. George.
Just before 10:30 p.m., Lilian Guerra and Nish Contreras, two Panda Express employees, said they could smell something burning while they were cleaning the restaurant prior to seeing smoke and realizing there was a fire.
“We tried to get the fire extinguisher to put it out but then we just called 911 ’cause we didn’t know what was going to happen,” Guerra said. “Since propane and everything is right there, we were like ‘ah oh, we better get out of here.’”
Guerra said the first thing 911 dispatch told them to do was to get out of the store.
“There was a short in one of the power outlets in the kitchen area that actually caught on fire,” St. George firefighter Douglas Jansen said. “It wasn’t a very big fire. It was out upon our arrival and there’s no damage.”
Jansen said the fire shouldn’t have any affect on Panda Express business.
“They should be open tomorrow,” he said, “and everything will be fine.”
This report is based on preliminary information provided by responders on scene and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- House fire causes $90,000 damage, displaces family of 6
- Fire consumes van in Virgin River Gorge
- Structure fire quickly put out by firefighters, no injures
- House fire in Santa Clara causes $40,000 in damage, displaces 3
- News short: Cooking oil-drenched rags possible cause of restaurant fire
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.