Man admits to huffing Dust-Off after crashing SUV into wall

ST. GEORGE – After crashing his SUV into a wall on Foremaster Drive Saturday afternoon, a St. George man was arrested for driving under the influence.

Just after 5 p.m., St. George Communication Center received a report that an SUV, traveling eastbound on Foremaster Drive near 1740 East in St. George, had gone off the road, St. George Police Sgt. Dave Williams said.

“It appears the vehicle did scrape the wall a bit,” Williams said.

Jared Brent Hanks, of St. George, Utah, booking photo posted Sept. 6, 2014 | Photo courtesy of Washington County Sheriff’s Office, St. George News

St. George police officers responded to the scene and came into contact with the driver of the SUV, Jared Brent Hanks, who told officers he had passed out or fallen asleep behind the wheel, Williams said.

“Officers saw a Dust-Off can that Hanks was trying to kick under the seat,” Williams said. “Officers pulled him out and had Gold Cross Ambulance look at him.”

After determining that Hanks was uninjured, officers began field sobriety tests.

“After the tests and speaking to Hanks, we were able to determine that the cause of the accident was psychotoxic chemical abuse or huffing,” Williams said. “Hanks admitted to us he was huffing Dust-Off while driving.”

Hanks was arrested and booked into the Washington County Purgatory Correctional Facility. He was charged with a class B misdemeanor for driving under the influence and a class B misdemeanor for psychotoxic chemical abuse. According to bookings information Hank’s current bail stands at $1900.

Persons arrested or charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Related posts

Email: tsromney@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

• Billy September 6, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Really. Just dang. Dustoff. I guess I must be really getting old

• Not Convinced... September 7, 2014 at 2:32 am

What a way to get into treatment….at least now he will have a psych assessment and opportunity to change what he is doing. Dust-off is becoming quite the recreational drug. It is also very dangerous and damaging. Hopefully this guy can still do higher math. Ughhh

• BG September 7, 2014 at 7:54 am

Here comes the onslaught of comments from the byu fans…. wait for it….. wait for it…….

• Mary September 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

For those of us Not familiar with this “dust off” ,
      Could you please explain it ?
      Isn’t it just the compressed air used for cleaning electronics ?
      Why would anyone “huff” it ?

• Mary September 8, 2014 at 11:57 am

Sorry about my post , meant to post it to the guy above . . .

• Abby September 7, 2014 at 8:51 am

This is my dad……

• Mark Vinclio September 7, 2014 at 7:12 pm

he’s an idiot. he could have hurt someone else…he is selfish

• hugs abby. September 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

Dear Abby. I am so sorry, this has got to be hard to see online.. I hope things get better.. this is no way to get thru life.. doing what you can do, being happy with less, and doing for others can replace the need to do this.. God Bless You young lady.

• Struth September 7, 2014 at 10:23 am

You must be very proud of him. 🙁

• Aliceyn September 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

STRUTH, That was rude, mean and heartless …

• hahaha September 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm

People is so stupid

• The Good Life September 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm

He should really try ether, its a little less abrasive and it lasts longer!

• bobber September 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I hear that a hit of crystal meth takes the edge off after a long 3 hours at church as well…

• bobber September 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

The burden of trying to be worthy all of the time makes some folks resort to drug use, whether prescribed, illegal, or whatever category this fits into…

• mesaman September 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Thank you, Dr Freud.

• groanattack September 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm

How can someone afford to drive an escalade and still be so stupid?

• afriend September 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I know this man. He is a good man and a great father. Before you fools go passing judgement on a man you don’t know, who has been severely injured in a previous car accident that was not his fault that you didn’t know about think twice and keep your uneducated opinion to yourselves.

• Joanna September 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Luckily there weren’t any small children on the sidewalk that he ran up on. Should we just feel sympathetic and let him keep huffing and driving until he kills someone?

• sing4money September 7, 2014 at 4:48 pm

please re-write your comment, its barely coherent.

• EL JEFE September 8, 2014 at 1:10 pm

AFRIEND, I am not “passing judgment” on this man. But I seriously question how you can state “He is a good man and a great father”…..what kind of “great father” willingly and knowingly drives and huffs chemicals???
      Just asking…..not judging……got an answer??

• TypicalUTFolk September 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm

@AFRIEND Let them pass judgement all they want. I hope they just remember to be perfect the rest of their lives.

• Judge on what we do know. September 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Why the heck not pass judgement? The FINAL judgement belongs to God, but we constantly judge in church. We know he was out of it long enough to crash and then for at least the few minutes it took police to arrive or he would have kicked the dustoff can away sooner. He admitted to huffing. He might be a good dad when he’s not in so much pain he needs to resort to burning out his brain cells. He didn’t “make a mistake”… he decided to drive while huffing. (You know, the stuff that says on the label don’t inhale or your head will spin and you can’t drive straight.) We are all lucky he didn’t kill one of us or our loved ones…or his poor daughter.

• Abby and Lindsay September 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Thank you to the people that are nice about this. My dad is having a hard time and thought this was his way out. He didn’t mean to hurt anyone! Yes it’s hard to my family but leaving mean comments make it worse.

• Richard September 7, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Then why would you come on here and read the comments? Seriously this man committed a very serious offense and is very lucky that it didn’t involve others. Get him help for his issues, good luck!

• My Evil Twin September 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm

OK, your dad is having a hard time. Guess what, life is FULL of hard times. For EVERYBODY. But not everybody chooses to drive while impaired, putting themselves and everyone else on or near the road at risk.
      You two are something called “enablers.” Look it up. And daddy is a loser. Look that up too.
      I hope he will finally decide to go into rehab, but until he makes the decision, there is no help for him. But you two need to quit making excuses for him. It is time for “tough love.” Look it up.

• ADad September 9, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Why don’t you use your real name if you are going to talk crap that that about a young girl and her friend trying to stick up for their dad. Personally, I think your a loser “look it up” for responding to young girls when they are trying to protect their dad from bullies like you.

• My Evil Twin September 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Because if I used my real name, you wouldn’t vote for me in the next city council election. DUH. . .
          Oh, and I don’t see you using your real name. Also, the “crap” that I am talking is nothing but the truth. I figure if you are going to stick up for a dirt bag, it is because you are a dirt bag yourself.

• Simone September 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm

My sympathies to you and your family. I hood you learn dome kind if lesson from this.

• Redrock lover September 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I’m sorry you have to see this happen with your dad. It’s a difficult situation he has put his family and loved ones in after this incident. Good luck getting through this. Lots of families go through difficult times and challenges-so you are not alone. Stay strong- from someone who has been in your shoes.

• Judge on what we do know. September 7, 2014 at 11:25 pm

To Abby and Lindsay…You say, “He never had any intent to hurt anyone.” He only drove into a wall, but he hurt his family. I know this is a difficult time for you. Stop reading these comments. Don’t listen to the kids at school. Don’t worry about what people think. These comments are not meant for you, or to hurt you. The community is full of people who make excuses and disregard someone’s culpability. These comments should be meant for them, (mine are for the “just remember to be perfect for the rest of their lives” folks). For you and his family, get off the internet and go help your dad.

• sing4money September 8, 2014 at 5:47 am

so you havea dad who does what he does and your mom lets you post comments on line??????????? Anyone paying attention to these kids?

• happy4you September 8, 2014 at 5:53 am

I hope you understand that your mom and dad should be protecting you, not letting you online to be abused.

• Mary September 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Greetings and sorry for the family troubles .
      Unfortunately this bad decision could easily have killed someone .
      A lady texting will driving over on Dixie Downs Rd ended up killing a man and maiming his wife .
      When family makes really really bad choices , it is probably wiser to
      NOT come on message boards and blogs .
      Doing things that can KILL & Maim others makes people mad so you do NOT want to be reading about it .
      Time for Family time to figure out how to help dad & skip the blogs .

• bobber September 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm

If he’s worthy enough he may even get a home visit from the bishopric. And a blessing!

• dbobber September 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm

If thou huffest and truly repentest in thy heart. Behold, thou shalt surely be blessed and forgiven for thy huffgression. Go forth and huffest no more

• bobber September 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm

And Abby this is the best thing that could have happened for you. It gives your father a chance to get clean w/o having killed himself or anyone else. And he can sell what’s left of the Escalade to pay for rehab.

• Abigail September 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Do you all have nothing better to do with your lives then sit here and write means comments? I know him, and he is such a kind hearted man, husband, and father. None of you knew his story or what he was going through. He never had any intent to hurt anyone. Writing all these means things isn’t helping this family feel any better about the situation. Every single one of you have some type of demon in your life, so stop pointing your fingers and making a fool out of yourselves.

• happy4you September 8, 2014 at 5:55 am

Who cares what he going through….not a reason to huff in your car and risk the lives of others. Your an idiot for writing your comment. Just because your friendly with someone does not excuse their behavior. Learn.

• Chris September 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

It does not matter how “kind hearted” this man is. He committed a criminal act and should be punished for it. His actions endangered other people, and he should pay for his poor judgment. No amount of suffering on his part could justify the crime he committed.

• ladybugavenger September 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

#fundraiser

• Let's.be.nice September 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm

My evil twin
    Why are you being mean to children? Leave Abby alone. Why can’t you direct your comments towards adults. I know Jared and his family. They are good people struggling to get him better. Addiction is subject to relaps. They are and will work to get him healthy. This really may be a hidden blessing for them all. I could not imagine being a child and know and see these struggles and now have it out in such a public way. I know that Jared made and makes his choices, he is a good man with an addiction, is is worth loving, helping and befriending. He has made some awful choices that he will one day come to grips with, he has a tremendous battle to fight. Just because he is an addict does not mean people or his children should withhold love and affection. Loving an addict does not mean your enabling them. I can’t wait for the day that Jared is in recovery and feeling good. He will be responsible for his actions, I ho

• sing4money September 8, 2014 at 5:51 am

You would not say this if this “man and father” were to run your child down on the sidewalk, would you? So, shut it with your…he is a good guy. No, he is not. Good men and fathers dont get in the car and huff, jerks do. Im not kicking him while he is down, I am being honest. He needs help for his addiction and needs to lose his license because he cannot be trusted. When I see him on the streets, I will turn my back till he gets the help he needs.

• My Evil Twin September 8, 2014 at 9:49 am

Awwww, why am I being “mean” to children? If the kids are old enough to come on line and take part in a discussion, then they are old enough to be told that they, (and apparently you as well,) are stupidly defending a man whose actions are indefensible. Huffing is something you might expect to see from kids in junior high school, not something you would expect to see an adult man who is a father doing.
      These kids grow up seeing dope in use, they will likely become dopers themselves. Now maybe you are OK with that, but I am not. So if I am being MEAN for telling it like it is, well that is just tough. Get over it.

• Let's.be.nice September 7, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hope he never risk the life of anyone again. Please be nice and know what he screwed up massively not his children and family.

• sing4money September 8, 2014 at 5:51 am

I agree. Where is mom or dad to protect their kids????

• My Evil Twin September 8, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hope is wonderful! But when this dirt bag’s family starts defending him from his screw up, they are screwing up themselves. Grow up.

• ladybugavenger September 8, 2014 at 11:30 am

#fundraiser

• Chris September 8, 2014 at 1:59 pm

LOL Yes, let’s organize a fundraiser to help these poor people who were victimized by those villains at the Dust-Off company. A class action lawsuit should be started too.

• Candy September 7, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Ok so I get he has problem huffing and all that. But the people saying that we should not judge… He couldn’t wait till he got home to start hugging it? It’s like drinking and driving. It’s wrong and he is putting others lives at risk! What if your kid was walking on that sidewalk? What if he had hit a jogger or something? What he was doing is totally irresponsible and he put the lives of everyone around him at risk to. If you wanna do your drugs, stay off the d…* road!
    *Ed. ellipses

• Candy September 7, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Huffing not hugging. Lol. Gosh I hate auto correct. ;-/

• EL JEFE September 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm

End Dust is a long way from Angel Dust. Either way….stoned is stoned and he should not have been driving. I just wonder how the “friendlies” posting above would feel if it had been their child or a loved one jogging or cycling that would have gotten hit by Mr. A Shot of Endust . He needs to lose or have his license rervoked due to this.

• Zonkerb September 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

The way I see it the full scale effect of the situation rests on its probable reasoning currently induced by the negative comments resulting in the misconstrued appreciation of the situation if you ask me

• Let's.be.nice September 8, 2014 at 2:08 pm

First of all sing for money and my evil twin his daughter isn’t old enough to be on here. There is active parenting In there home and mom is always there. Yes he should loose his liscence. Yes I would be more angry if someone had been killed. I HAVE HAD A FAMILY MEMBER HIT AND KILLED BY AN INTOXICATED DRIVER, it’s devistating. I engaging with a child who is sneaking onto here and posting shows a lack of maturity. All she sad is he didn’t mean to hurt anyone and he is going through a hard time. Those are not enabling, it’s the truth. It does not excuse his behavior, he will be punished and he needs help. Good people do make bad choices. So don’t tell me someone is a bad mad for a choice that was made through a sick addicted mind. It was a bad choice, not his only bad choice. He also does good things too. And when he is well again he will make a lot less bad choices. Addiction is hard, it is serious , it is sad, it is not an excuse.

• bobber September 8, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Just so all the young kids reading this know: you can get “dust off” at any office supply and probably at walmart too… BUT DON’T DO IT. TRUST ME.

• getting flooded September 8, 2014 at 5:56 pm

By the looks of the escalade he looks like he can afford it

• Julie September 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Some of you posting on this site don’t even have a clue about addiction. I know this Man and his family and they are great people!! Sure he shouldn’t be driving and doing this crap, but he was probably not even aware of what he was doing. I just hope and pray he can get some help and find the person who is really in there. Addiction sucks!!!!!! Don’t judge until you walk in their shoes. You have no idea how this effects the real person. Thank goodness no one was injured! Please don’t be hard on his children…..they don’t deserve this.

• bobber September 9, 2014 at 1:52 am

Yuuuuuuup, your biggest drug dealer is actually your family doctor pushing narcotic pain killers … from popping a hand full of those a day, it’s a small step to shooting/smoking heroine. Often it’s cheaper as well. Thanks doc.

• ladybugavenger September 9, 2014 at 10:14 am

#fundraiser for the kids!

• Coprqwn September 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Shut up. What’s wrong with you? Why do they need a fundraiser? You need a brain.

• My Evil Twin September 9, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Unfortunately, I’ve had numerous years working with, (take that to mean putting in jail,) addicts. Quite often after they have killed someone else. I have ZERO sympathy for them.
      As to the “children coming on here to defend their dad,” I have a strong suspicion that either their dad is actually the one posting, or he has put them up to it. Addicts are manipulative for sure. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if all the “good people” coming on here to defend this dirt bag turn out to be the dirt bag himself. SCREWEM.

• ADAD September 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

@myeviltwin, pretty hard to post on this site while the man was in jail!!! This obviously shows you know very little about the justice system, as you claim too. You seem to be all talk. And the fact the you call him a “dirt bag” and say “SCREWEM”, that just shows your lack of knowledge with respect to both addiction and the judicial system. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? You base all of your facts on a report in the St. George News (REALLY). They must have had a very slow news day. And remember, this is one reporters knowledge of the case. Doesn’t mean everything he said is true. In fact, I know there are several items in his article that happen to not be true at all. With that said and based on my review of the comments, you appear to be the dirt bag with nothing better to do than post your hateful/judgmental/uneducated comments on a site and hide behind your aninimity!!! Seriously, you really appear to be someone who is quick to judge others. As humans we tend to find fault in others to make ourselves feel better. Maybe you should do an internal review and take stock of your poor choices before you run your mouth about others!!!!!

• My Evil Twin September 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Ho-hum, and another dirt bag heard from, again. Do you really think I give a right rip about you or what you think? Also, I see you are still not using YOUR name when you post. Go away. Go far away. And quickly.

• ADAD September 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I will use my real name when you do!!! Also, no comment on really putting people in jail. I would love the chance to meet you in person and see what kind of “man”, or “woman” you are. Not sure I have ever seen such a judge-mental person in my life. Just let me know when and where we can talk and I’ll be there. However, my suspicion is that you will continue to hide behind the screen like the coward you are. Seriously, anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TypicalUTFolk September 8, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Hiding behind a screen. Lmao

• My Evil Twin September 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Well now, ADAD, your post just screams “14 year old internet Rambo” to me. What are you planning on doing, beating me up? Shooting me? Fire bombing my house?
    No, I’m not going to put my real name out here on line. I’m not that stupid. Neither are most of the people who post opinions that are unpopular.
    “Seriously, anytime!” ????? Come on little boy, you’ve been reading too many comic books.

• ADAD September 16, 2014 at 1:14 pm

To all who have posted on this site with little or no thought.

A wise man once said’ “Are we looking through a window that needs cleaning? Are we making judgments when we don’t have all the facts? Said the Savior, why beholdest thou the mote that is thy brothers eye, but considereth not the beam that is in thine own eye, or to paraphrase, why beholdest thou what you think is dirty laundry at your neighbors’ house and considereth not the soiled window in your own house? There is really no way we can know the heart, the intention, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize, thus the commandment, JUDGE NOT!”

This is all I have to say!

• My Evil Twin September 17, 2014 at 7:48 am

While I have a lot of respect for folks who actually live their religion, by doing the best they can in their day to day life, I have absolutely no respect for the hypocrites that hide behind their religion. If you claim to be of a certain religion, but feel that you can just do anything you want to do, because you are already “forgiven,” then you are in a very sad state. And it makes no difference whether or not, the religion is a “predominant religion of an area.”

• heyo March 24, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Guys stop being such dicks. I mean seriously i know the family and he was just going through a hard time. So stop being immature brats and grow up. And instead of thinking about what ifs think about what happened. Like i see comments that say he was a bad person cause he could have hit someone, well guess what people he didnt. And for some of you stop bein mean to his daughter… God this is really hard for her, i know her personally. She is my best friend so stop being mean to her and her family.

• Jensen April 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm

But did you tell him he was a …? Because after all he was the huffer behind the wheel which whether he hit someone else or not pretty much makes him the … of all … in this situation. You need to stop sticking up for him just because you know him. He’s a ….
      Ed. ellipses.

• Jensen April 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Oh look. He’s got a U of U license plate.