Trash can contents ignite, set LaVerkin house ablaze

LAVERKIN – Hurricane Valley Fire Department units responded to a house fire at about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning on the 100 North block of 300 West in LaVerkin after a neighbor realized the house next door, which was vacant, was on fire and called dispatch.

“The garbage cans, which were sitting right against the home, was filled with wet and dry organic material,” Hurricane Valley Fire Chief Tom Kuhlman said. “That material heated up inside the can and ignited.”

The fire spread up and through the garage portion of the home, Kuhlman said, and with the house being empty the fire burned for a while before it was noticed.

“We had three fire units respond this morning, including a unit from Hildale,” Kuhlman said. “We were actually able to knock the fire down rather quickly.”

Kuhlman said after the fire was extinguished and the hot spots were addressed they were able to leave the residence.

No injuries were reported, he said.

Then, at approximately 8:40 a.m., fire crews were called to the scene again as new flames and smoke became visible.

As the winds picked up and came into contact with additional hot spots in the home, it caused flames to start back up, Kuhlman said.

Crews were on scene with one engine, dousing the hot spots and beginning cleanup procedures. LaVerkin City Police and Washington County Sheriff’s deputies were on scene, as well, assisting with crowd and traffic control.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery. 

Related posts

Email: tsromney@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, StGeorgeUtah.com Inc., 2014, all rights reserved

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

3 Comments

  • bobber September 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm

    I’ll be …. You learn something new every day.
    Ed. ellipsis.

  • Doug Bringhurst September 2, 2014 at 3:13 pm

    So is Hurricane in the fire district still or not?

  • Char September 2, 2014 at 9:46 pm

    Amazing how the hot spots were treated and they left, but it flared up again. Someone didn’t check very well.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.