VIRGIN RIVER GORGE – As the Labor Day holiday weekend nears, the Arizona Department of Transportation is urging motorists traveling on Interstate 15 through the Virgin River Gorge corridor of the Arizona Strip, to allow for extra travel time due to expected heavy traffic during the holiday weekend and to be aware of an existing work zone through the Virgin River Gorge.
Delays of up to two hours have been reported on previous holiday travel weekends through the Virgin River Gorge, approximately 100 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
ADOT is currently working on a major reconstruction project on Virgin River Bridge No. 6 – Arizona milepost 16 – located about 20 miles south of St. George. While no active construction will be taking place during the holiday weekend, the highway is currently narrowed to one lane in each direction through the work zone until the project is completed in 2016.
This $27 million project includes the replacement of the bridge’s superstructure – girders, deck and railings – as well as widening the roadway through the narrow passage of the gorge.
With limited alternate routes due to the remote location of the I-15 Virgin River Gorge corridor, ADOT urges drivers to plan ahead, allow extra travel time, slow down and drive carefully through the work zone, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Individuals seeking to avoid the heavy traffic in the Virgin River Gorge may take Highway 91 as an alternate route. The highway bypasses the Gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Littlefield, Arizona, to the south, and connecting to the City of Santa Clara to the north, and into St. George via Sunset Boulevard. See map inset.
- To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit theADOT Traveler Information Center online. Travelers outside of Arizona needing to check road conditions may call 1-888-411-ROAD, or while in Arizona dial 511.
- More information about the I-15 Virgin River Gorge bridge projects is available on the ADOT website.
- ADOT: Virgin River Gorge bridge improvement schedule
- Road advisory: Old Highway 91 recommended as alternative to possible holiday weekend delays in gorge
- ADOT seeks public input on 2019 Virgin River Bridge No. 1 project
- ADOT begins largest bridge reconstruction project in Virgin River Gorge, Bridge No. 6 on I-15
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.