‘A little gas’ on Dodge Dart engine erupts in flames

ST. GEORGE – Fire Department crews were dispatched to the 1900 North block of 1950 West in St. George just before 9 a.m. Monday to address a 1974 Dodge Dart on fire in the garage of a home.

Tiffany Swingler said she had just arrived home from the grocery store and planned to pull the 1974 Dodge out of the garage to park her other car inside.

“It is an older car,” she said, “so usually, I have to pour a little gas on the carburetor just to get it started – so I did that and got it started. We were sitting in the car waiting for it to warm up when all of the sudden I heard a pop and the engine started on fire.”

Swingler said she grabbed her son out of the car and tried to get the hose but it was kinked up.

“The flames just kept getting higher and I didn’t know how to put it out,” Swingler said. “I have never dealt with it and I was afraid it was going to get worse while I was trying to get the fire out.”

The St. George Fire Department responded quickly, she said, and everyone was OK.

St. George News Reporter Hollie Reina contributed to this report.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • Mark August 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm

    Al Bundy is going to miss his Dodge

  • bobber August 25, 2014 at 3:45 pm

    hopefully we get some real news happening soon, murders and what not… everyone cross your fingers.

    • My Evil Twin August 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

      You wouldn’t recognize news if it hit you over the head. Idiot.

    • Dana August 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm

      Bobber..take your meds and step away from the alcohol.

  • Koolaid August 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

    Print this out for your instructions on how to make your own Utah Dixie Hot Rod.

  • Bob Ohner August 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm

    Only stupid comments from the bob ber and Kaids. It show don’t be sondun rit not to be haben no josh d making no stubid comment don dis. What’s up ? you racist trio. All the women still disrespecting you three trolls. Sorry except for the two of you that like the same gend er trolls. How much you three charge to cross your bridge to looserville any how’s is it still a buck cause if it is could I bum one.

  • DAVE August 25, 2014 at 7:24 pm

    Two points;:
    1.) Never attempt to extinguish a gasoline fire, with a hose.
    2.) Always keep a fire extinguisher, in your car.

  • bobber August 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

    The best way to put out this kind of fire is to douse it with gasoline. Works every time.

    • Dana August 26, 2014 at 8:49 am

      Bobber…..are you sniffing those fumes again?

  • Ben August 25, 2014 at 11:04 pm

    “Don’t touch my dart…”

  • first mistake August 26, 2014 at 2:15 am

    Her first mistake was you put gas in the carburetor not on it. 2. She should have pulled it out right away no need to warm it up to move it a few feet. 3. You never mess with Daddys Dodge.

    • Koolaid August 26, 2014 at 7:50 am

      Let’s retrace the steps where the error began. Putting gas on the carburetor? No. Opening the hood? No. Trying to start the car. No, but getting closer. Getting a motor vehicle license? Bingo!

  • alix August 27, 2014 at 12:11 am

    hey please stop that’s my sister, she made a mistake so don’t judge her. she was so scared and wasn’t thinking straight cause she didn’t know what to do so please be nice thank you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.